Better Late than Never...
First I would like to say that this post has been somewhat late in coming, and we might have thought sooner about making it There have been so many new BodyRockers joining us lately, and by far the most common question is “How/Where Do I Start?” I wanted to write this post especially for those of you who are new to our little home workout movement and hopefully provide you the information that you need to start your fitness journey with us.
What this site is all about…
BodyRock.Tv is where we post all of the workouts that we do each week. The workouts that we share with you here are the only ones that we do. This is an important point. Zuzana has reached her level of fitness with just these workout routines. We do not post these videos and then put on a false nose and a whig and sneak into the back row of the BodyPump class at the local gym. What you see here is the real deal, and we are not training behind your back Of course you are free to train for as long and as often as you choose, but the point is that if you are consistent, follow our common sense diet approach and push hard, it is possible to achieve your fitness potential by following the workouts posted on this site.
How often should I workout?
Our best advice is just to follow our updates. When you see a new workout then do it New workouts come regularly and you can see what’s coming in the workout schedule. We always encourage people to take “Active Rest Days” between training days as they need to – listen to your body. On ARD’s you can take part in other physical activities that you enjoy – sports, yoga, hiking biking etc – anything that keeps you moving, social and happy. The idea is t get out and move everyday.
Are these workouts for guys too?
Yes. Many guys are following our workouts. These workouts are an equal opportunity butt kicker.
But what I really want is just to tone up my (insert body part here)…
Whatever trouble spot you are looking to tone and shape up, we have you covered with these hyper fat burning, full body workouts. So yes these workouts will help you with whatever trouble zone that you have. Training your body as a whole is the best way to get where you want to go.
Where to start?
You can start today right now – it’s really that simple. Follow these basic instructions and you will be on your way:
- Find the most recent post in the “All Workouts” category.
- Read the post. Often Zuzana will offer coaching tips and information that will enhance your workout.
- Watch Zuzana’s workout video. This is footage of her actually doing the workout herself, and pushing at her max intensity.
- Watch the Workout Tutorial video, or checkout the pictures with instructions. We included tutorial videos in some workouts where Zuzana goes over each of the exercises in detail, explaining the proper form for each move and she also shows alternative exercises and easier variations for beginners. If you are a complete beginner then you will want to select the modification for each exercise that matches your current fitness level.
- All of the sets, reps and timer instructions are in the text under the videos. There are also pictures of each exercise that you can print and take with you when you exercise. Sometimes having the visual reminder in front of you can be very helpful.
- Write down your reps, times and scores. You will try and beat your personal best scores the next time you do these exercises or this workout. Keeping track of your scores in your exercise journal is the best way to track your progress. We also love it when people post their scores in the comments and compete with us and each other.
Thats really all there is to it. Our workouts are short but intense – on average they take about 15 minutes, but some do go up to 20 – 30 minutes.
What Equipment Do I Need?
Most of the workouts that we do are bodyweight workouts. This means that you will use your bodyweight for resistance. The great thing about this type of training is that you can do it without the need for expensive equipment. That said, Zuzana and quite a few of the other BodyRockers who follow our workouts on a regular basis do tend to boost the challenge and intensity of the workouts by using a few pieces of exercise equipment. I will list the equipment that we use below:
- Gymboss Interval Timer You see Zuzana with this timer in every single video, because we use it in every single workout. This is the one absolutely must have item on the list. Our workouts are largely interval based and they move at a fast pace. You simply don’t have time to be checking your watch or the clock in the middle of all these exercises, rounds and reps. The timer keeps track of all of your intervals automatically and lets you know when its time to switch exercises by beep and vibration. In short it lets you focus 100% on your workout. To pick up your own timer click on the blue link above.
- Sandbag. In the past months, the sandbag has become a staple in most of our workouts. It is incredibly versatile, you can easily add and subtract weight so that it fits your needs exactly. It’s also great because it is quiet to set down and won’t scratch or damage your floors. We use it mostly to add extra intensity to certain exercises. Zuzana & I both use the “Power” model, and right now we have it adjusted to weigh about 35 lbs. For more information on the sandbag click here.
- Dip Station, Pull Up Bar, Jump Rope Combo We have recently stared to use our home dip station on a fairly regular basis again after a brief hiatus. We have been experimenting with a series of new exercises on the dip station including the “Moon Run” exercise. We will be using both the pull up bar and dip station on an regular basis in our workouts. You can get more info about this equipment by clicking on the blue link above.
- Exercise Mat. You will need an exercise matt for the floor work that we do. Our current Matt is from LuLuLemon, but the dip station guys sell one too.
Remember that you can always follow our workouts even if you don’t have the equipment listed above (although we highly suggest the timer). Zuzana always shows alternative exercises in the Workout Tutorial Video for those of you who don’t have this equipment at home. In every single post we always provide a blue text link to the equipment that we are using in our workouts.
What about Diet?
Zuzana is currently studying to complete a fitness nutrition certification from ISSA, and we have recently began a 5 week diet challenge that you can read about here. Take some time to go through our “Food & Diet” category, there are a lot of great articles that outline our basic common sense approach to food. You can make tremendous progress by applying some of the basic principles we have outlined in this section.
It’s crucial that you are consistent with your training. We tend to workout every other day, so that is how often we generally post new workouts. To follow along with us just check back in with us here on the site on a regular basis. If you feel like working out on the days when there is no new workout scheduled, you can go back through our older posts, pick another workout and go through the steps outlined above. There are dozens and dozens of workouts here to choose from.
What can I do to show my support?
The most helpful way you can help support our home workout movement here on BodyRock.Tv is by sharing our site with your friends and family. We are truly thankful and appreciative of any BodyRocker who acts as a goodwill ambassador for us
Frederick & Zuzana