Bone broth is something that our ancestors have been eating for centuries. There has to be a good reason! Here are 10! Have a read and then see if you can find a way to incorporate bone broth into your diet.
1. It heals a leaky gut.Bone broth contains gelatin which protects and heals the muscosal lining of the digestive tracks and aids in the digestion of nutrients.
2. Fights infections like cold and flu.A published study in the journal, Chest, shows eating chicken soup during a respiratory infection reduces the number of white blood cells, which are the cells that cause flu and cold symptoms.
3. Reduces joint pain and inflammation.Bone broth has glucosamine which can stimulate the growth of new collagen, repair damaged joints and reduce pain and inflammation.
4. Produces gorgeous skin, hair and nails.The collagen and gelatin in bone broth supports hair growth and helps to keep your nails strong.
5. Helps with bone formations, growth and repair.It contains calcium, magnesium and phosphorous which helps bones grow and repair.
6. Saves you money.Homemade bone broth is cheaper and healthier than the store bought varieties.
7. It's easy to make.Just need a crockpot. Throw everything in and cook it overnight while you sleep.
8. Healthier than buying supplements.Homemade bone broth contains all of the nutrients and minerals found in bones and tendons instead of the one or two you'll find in a supplement. The slow cooking preserves the nutrients better than the heat extraction used for the supplements.
9. Fights inflammation.Bone broth is high in anti-inflammatory amino acids glycine and proline.
10. Promotes sleep and calms the mind.The amino acid glycine is known to have a calming effect. Want to give it a shot? Try this recipe:
Gut-Healing Chicken Broth Recipe
- 1 organic whole chicken
- 8 c of water
- 4 -6 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- ½ white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 inch ginger root, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar