I post this with a caveat; that these foods aren’t banned absolutely everywhere else, but they are all available in the U.S.
and they are all banned somewhere
else in the world. These are also reeeeally specific foods, almost every food has a qualifier attached, or very general substances found in many foods – BUT even if you take the information with a grain of salt, the list is interesting nonetheless.
1. Farm Raised Salmon, banned in Australia and New Zealand.
Farm-raised fish are full of toxic chemicals unsafe for human consumption. Look for Alaskan or Sockeye, which are illegal to farm, rather than Atlantic salmon.
2. Genetically Engineered Papaya, banned in the European Union
The laundry list of possible side effects is kind of terrifying; multiple-organ damage, sterility, tumors, and premature death. These are only the results found on animals, not humans, but… yeah, no thanks.
3. Ractopamine-Tainted Meat, banned in 160 countries (through Europe, China, and Russia)
Current U.S. meats aren’t even tested for this drug, tons of nasty side effects including chromosomal abnormalities and harm to the cardiovascular system, and 1700 people have been “poisoned” by this tainted meat in the past 15 years.
4. Flame Retardant Drinks, banned in Europe and Japan
Did not even know this was a feature of Mountain Dew, but apparently its flame retardant due to the chemical BVO. Even the FDA, which I personally think are pretty loosey goosey with the term “generally recognized as safe”, have categorized BVO as an “interim food additive” meaning it’s usage is questionable.
5. Processed Foods and Artificial Food Dyes, banned in Norway and Austria, and the EU requires a warning label
All food is evil and we are all going to die, unless we grow our own foods. Pretty much.
6. Arsenic Laced Chicken, banned in The European Union (which have NEVER approved of arsenic in animal feed)
The meat products look pinker, the animals grow faster, and all is okay because it’s organic
arsenic – except for when it turns into inorganic arsenic and leaches into the drinking water.
7. Bread with potassium bromate, banned in Canada, The European Union, and China
Cancer, thyroid problems, and nervous system damage, oh my!
8. Olestra/Olean, banned in the UK and Canada
You know how fat-free products aren’t usually all that great? Well, this calorie/cholesterol-free fat substitute doesn’t let your body absorb vitamins properly and can wreak havoc on your bowels.
9. Preservatives BHA and BHT, banned in parts of the EU and Japan, and in infant food in the UK
Deemed “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen” – again, all food is going to kill us.
10. Milk and dairy products Made With rBGH, banned in Australia, New Zealand, the EU, Canada, and Israel
Developed from genetically engirneered E. Coli bacteria, it converts normal tissue into cancerous ones. But hey, it increases milk production, who cares if it also increases contamination of milk with pus and antibiotics?
So, if you live in the European Union, give yourself a pat on the back for higher food standards. If you’re in the States, run in terror and grow all your own food – TRUST NO ONE.