Lemons are amazing and we aren't exaggerating. They are great for adding flavour but are also very healthy.
Here are 10 reasons you should use lemons starting TODAY:
1. Prevent kidney stone: Consuming one half cup of lemon juice daily raises the citrate level in your urine. Studies have shown that this may prevent calcium stones forming in the kidney.
2. Soothe a sore throat: A mixture of lemon and honey can do wonders to ease the pain of a scratchy, sore throat.
3. Support weight loss: Lemon juice contains pectin which is a soluble fibre that has been shown to aid in weight loss.
4. Start your day right: Instead of grabbing for the coffee or tea first thing, grab a glass of hot water and lemon juice. It will give you a hit of Vitamin C and help get your metabolism going.
5. Stop an itch: Lemon juice has anti-inflammatory and anesthetic properties. Rubbing lemon juice on poison ivy or insect bites can help soothe the skin.
6. Aids in digestion: Dr. Oz has suggested drinking a mixture of lemon juice and flaxseed to eliminate the waste from your body more rapidly.
7. Anticancer properties: Citrus limioids are compounds that help protect your cells from the types of damage that can lead to cancer formation.
8. Potassium power: Move over bananas! One lemon can contain 80 milligrams of potassium.
9. Bring down a fever: If your temperature spikes, drinking a lemon mixture could help bring the fever down quickly!
10. Balance pH: Well our instincts may tell us that lemons are acidic, they are actually a really great alkaline food and an easy way to balance your body's pH. What are your favourite ways to enjoy lemons?
Want more great info about Nutrition?
We have put all of our Meal Plans and Nutrition Guides into one e-book bundle, to save you money!