A couple years ago I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Blentec
and have been making shakes & smoothies (among other things!), ever since. My 2 and 4 year old LOVE the smoothies, as does my husband and I experiment all the time with new recipes. I have learned what works and doesn't work, not to mention how good I feel after getting my fill of all the nutrient dense ingredients I put in them. But what to do when there are SO MANY smoothie recipes out there? I went through hundreds of recipes and picked a few that I have tried that are delicious, nutritious and fairly easy to make with ingredients that aren't hard to find. So whether you fancy 'green' smoothies, or the more fruity variety, there is something here for everyone! In my search for recipes, I came across this great idea at All Things Katie Marie.
Frozen smoothie Packs! Why didn't' I think of this before? It takes all the guess work and WORK out of making smooties, especially on the go with no time to prep. Just prep the bags with your favorite smoothie ingredients and freeze for later!
[caption id="attachment_46968" align="alignnone" width="430"]
DIY Frozen Smoothie Packs[/caption]
If you really want to be creative and experiment like I do, there are also numerous charts like this one from Good Lean Health,
that you can use as a guide to making unique smoothies as well! Or this one on making Green Smoothies last yummy NOT yucky!
BUT, if you want some tried and true smoothies that taste great and are good for you too, then look no further!
1) Food Babe’s Pineapple Grapefruit Hari Shake
- 2 cups kale removed from stem
- 2 large stalks of celery chopped
- ½ cucumber chopped
- ⅓ grapefruit
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 6 ounces of water
- Wash all vegetables thoroughly and place into a large bowl
- Add 6 ounces of water into a blender with celery, cucumber, and grapefruit
- Blend for 30 secs until just incorporated
- Add all other ingredients and keep blending for another 30 secs – 1min
Tip: She recommends adding protein powder and 1 tbsp of Chia Seeds
for a meal replacement shake or after a workout.
2) Green Tea, Blueberry and Banana Smoothie
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 green tea bag
- 2 tsp honey
- 1½ c frozen blueberries
- ½ med banana
- ¾ c calcium fortified light vanilla soy milk
1. MICROWAVE water on high until steaming hot in a small bowl. Add tea bag and allow to brew 3 minutes. Remove tea bag. Stir honey into tea until it dissolves. 2. COMBINE berries, banana, and milk in a blender with ice crushing ability. 3. ADD
tea to blender. Blend ingredients on ice crush or highest setting until smooth. (Some blenders may require additional water to process the mixture.) Pour smoothie into tall glass and serve.
3) Super Energy Smoothie
(Makes several 16 oz. servings)
- 2 pints cut up pineapple
- 2 pints cut up watermelon
- 2 quarts coconut water
- 1 bag baby spinach
- 1 bag frozen blueberries
- 2 green apples or 2 bananas
Directions Blend all of the ingredients together in a juicer, pour into 16 oz. servings. You can store or freeze extra smoothies to drink later. Enjoy!
4) Chamomile-Banana Smoothie
- 1 cup strong chamomile tea, room temperature
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Directions 1. Freeze chamomile tea in an ice cube tray. 2. Combine with remaining ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
5) Banana Island Spirulina Shake
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas
- 3/4 cup watermelon, frozen (or try pineapple for island flavor)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, vanilla
- 1/2 - 1 tsp spirulina
Directions Blend until smooth. If needed, add a splash more liquid to get blender churning. (tropical spin:
splash of coconut milk or a few pinches dried coconut) (boost it: Add 1 scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder if desired)
6) Avocado, banana and Cacao Smoothie
- 1 small ripe organic avocado, cut in half and pit
- 2 small very ripe organic bananas, peel
- 1 TBSP raw 100% natural cacao powder
- 3/4 cup water
Directions In your blender add the avocado, banana and cacao powder, blend well. Start adding your water 1/4 cup at a time, continue blending until creamy and smooth. This will make a thick shake almost pudding consistency, you can eat it with a spoon. If you like it thinner, just add more water slowly until desired consistency is achieved.
7) Berry Good Workout Smoothie
- 1½ c chopped strawberries
- 1 c blueberries
- ½ c raspberries
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ c ice cubes
BLEND all ingredients and enjoy!
8) Secret Ingredient Mango Smoothie
- 1 cup chopped ripe mango
- 1/4 Haas avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1/2 cup mango sorbet
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup crushed ice
- 2 mango slices, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 lime slice
Directions In a blender, combine the chopped mango, avocado, sorbet, milk, honey, lime juice, and ice. Blend on high until smooth. Poor in a tall glass. Slit the sliced mango and the sliced lime halfway through to the centers. Attach them to the rim of the glass before serving.
9) Kris Carr's Green Smoothie
- 1 avocado
- 1 – 2 pieces of low-glycemic fruit: green apple, pear, berries and cantaloupe
- 1 cucumber
- a fistful of kale or romaine or spinach
- coconut water (or purified water)
- stevia, to taste, and/or a sprinkle of cinnamon or some cacao (optional)
Directions Blend ingredients in a high-powered blender.
10) Hearty Fruit and Oat Smoothie
- 1 cup quartered strawberries
- 1 sliced banana
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Directions Put in blender and enjoy!
Credits: Frozen Smoothie Packs: http://allthingskatiemarie.blogspot.com/2014/01/frozen-smoothie-packs.html?utm_source=feedburner Green Smoothie Chart: http://www.lifelessbullshit.com/green-smoothie/
1) http://foodbabe.com/2012/09/10/the-green-smoothie-that-made-the-news/ 2) http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/green-tea-blueberry-and-banana-smoothie.aspx
3) http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/super-energy-smoothie 4) http://www.wholeliving.com/155852/chamomile-banana-smoothie 5) http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2013/04/spirulina-all-in-my-shake-two-recipes.html 6) https://jarohoney.com/avocado-banana-cacao-smoothie-raw-vegan/ 7) http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-recipes/20-super-healthy-smoothies?s=14 8) http://www.rd.com/slideshows/8-healthy-fruit-smoothies-for-breakfast/%20http://www.rd.com/food/secret-ingredient-mango-smoothie/ 9) http://kriscarr.com/recipe/kris-go-to-green-smoothie/ 10) http://www.marthastewart.com/965190/hearty-fruit-and-oat-smoothie?czone=crafts%2Fmost-pinned%2Fmost-pinned-recipes&gallery=968757&slide=965190¢er=997029