For some people, the most obvious way to begin a fitness journey is to lace up some sneakers and start running. The only trouble with that is that running, especially when you are first starting out, can be MISERABLE! And of course, when the exercise feels like torture, you're less likely to do it -- no matter how good you know it is for your health. If this sounds anything like you, these 10 tricks from POPSUGAR might just turn your workout torture into an exercise of joy!
1. Feel FabulousIf you deck yourself out with a cute pair of running shorts or a cute pair of shoes, you're already ahead of the game. You'll want to show off your gear which will, at the very least, get your butt out the door.
2. Pick A Beautiful Running RouteThe beach at sunrise. A trail through the woods. Whatever suits your fancy. If you can swing it, try to pick a route that is different from your regular walking routes, so you have new and interesting surroundings.
3. Make A Playlist That Motivates YouChoose some kicking club jams or maybe some heavy metal. Choose whatever it is that gets your heart pumping and makes you want to get up and move!
4. Take Your Dog AlongWhy not multitask? Grab the leash, your dog and hit your favourite running spot!
5. Run With A FriendIf you are more of a cat person, or your dog hates running, grab a friend. But be sure to choose a friend with a similar level of ability. There is nothing worse than trying to keep up with someone who is too fast or waiting for someone too slow.
6. Pretend You Are Katniss EverdeenRun like your life depends on it!
7. Think Of The Nice, Cold, Guilt Free Drink You Can Have LaterThe faster you go, the more you can allow yourself to drink. Reward yourself. For some great post workout smoothie ideas, check out the BodyRock Smoothie Book!
8. Have A DestinationDo you have to get a few groceries? Run to the supermarket. Does it really matter if you show up a little bit sweaty? Run on the way there, walk on the way back. Think of it as a cool down.
9. Plan To Run AND WalkAccept it. Running can be difficult. Embrace the fact that you may need to stop and walk sometimes. It isn't a defeat or a failure. It is part of the process. Try steady running for a period of time and then walk a few intervals. Alternate them. It will prevent you from losing your interest and motivation.
10. Keep TryingYou will, in all likelihood, feel defeated from time to time. This feeling is often caused by the fact that people often don't know HOW to run. Check out these beginner tips to avoid making the mistakes that will make you want to quit.
How do you make your run fun? Share your tips with us!