There are certain comfort foods that really aren’t much of a comfort to your system. Fast-food fixes and junk food binges should be replaced with eating nutrient packed foods that boost your mood not your belly size. Based on Drew Ramsey’s book “The Happiness Diet”, Men's Health Magazine shares 11 foods that can end your bad mood
1. Mussels – high in protein and low in fat, this seafood delight also has some of the highest naturally occurring B12 levels, as well as some other important minerals, which will keep your brain sharp as well as maintain your mood-triggering thyroid.
2. Swiss Chard – full of the energy-enhancing nutrient that is magnesium, this plant will keep your biochemical brain functions boosting your energy. Other magnesium-packed foods include spinach, soy beans, and halibut.
3. Blue Potatoes – I didn’t realize these existed, but I will keep an eye out since the chemical that turns them blue, anthocyanins, is a powerful antioxidant that strengthens short-term memory and reduces mood-killing inflammation.
4. Grass-fed Beef – meat eaters out there should look for grass fed animals, since they are much higher in the “happy fat” conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) which blasts belly fat and fights stress producing hormones.
5. Dark chocolate – this one I can really get behind, not only is it delicious but the cocoa in dark chocolate gives you an instant mood boost, improving blood flow to the brain.
6. Greek yogurt – Calcium releases feel-good neurotransmitters, and greek yogurt has more calcium than is found in milk or regular yogurt, as well as more protein.
7. Asparagus – along with turkey, tuna, and eggs, asparagus is bursting with tryptophan, which creates serotonin in the brain – the chemical responsible for feeling happiness.
8. Honey – although it’s high in sugar, and should be eaten in moderation, unlike refined sugar honey has compounds like quercetin and kaempferol, which keep your brain healthy by reducing inflammation.
9. Cherry Tomatoes – tomatoes, but especially the skin, are full of the antioxidant lycopene, which protects your brain and fights off inflammation.
10. Eggs – full of mood promoting nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, B vitamins, and iodide.
11. Coconut – coconut seems to be a wonder product lately, I’ve been using coconut oil for absolutely everything! It contains triglycerides which promotes good moods and keeps your brain healthy.