I haven't bought mayonnaise from the store in a very long time, not since I found this homemade mayonnaise recipe. It literally takes just a couple of minutes from start to finish, and it can be made in the same mason jar that you'll store it in so the only cleanup is the immersion blender attachment. To show you just how easy this homemade mayonnaise is, I made this video. Take a look: Simple right?! Here's the recipe.
Homemade mayonnaise recipe
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra light olive oil
- Combine all ingredients into a wide mouth mason jar. (The wide mouth jar is important so the immersion blender can fit in it.)
- Once the egg yolk has settled to the bottom of the jar, place an immersion blender at the bottom of the jar.
- Holding the blender at the bottom of the jar, pulse the blender until you see the mixture begin to emulsify.
- Once the bottom layer is emulsified begin to move the blender up and down to incorporate the rest of the oil.
- That's it... you're done. Put a lid on it and store in your fridge if it lasts that long.