Sprints….the exercise I love to hate and hate to love. I try to get these in at least once a week as they are an amazing exercise that targets your butt and legs in a very short amount of time.
This high intensity interval training (HIIT) focuses in on short bursts of very intense activity with a less intense “rest period” between. I find it much more beneficial to not take a complete rest and rather keep my body moving between the intense periods, as this prevents cramping and your muscles from tensing up.
20 minutes of this type of exercise is more beneficial than an hour or more of steady state cardio in more ways than one:
- Kick starts your bodies repair cycle, therefore you burn more fat
- Increases your metabolism
- Takes very little time … I honestly do no more than 20 minutes of cardio in each session, just focusing in on HIIT specifically each time. That to me is a huge advantage for someone with a busy life. I never want to be someone who is doing 1-2 hours of cardio a day.
- I have found that doing sprints actually improves my steady state running. Back in the day I would have to run, walk, repeat when taking the pupps for runs outside. Now I can go without stopping about ten times as long with so much less huffing and puffing.
- Do a warm-up for five minutes at a reasonably steady pace. This will also be the pace you use as your “rest period”
- At the 5 minute mark chose your “high intensity speed”. On average it will take about 15 seconds for the treadmill to work up to that speed once you select it
- Sprint full out for 30 seconds on that speed. At the 45 second mark select your rest speed (again, it will take almost a full 15 seconds to get back down to that)
- Walk at rest speed for a minute
- Repeat x 8
This will take you to 20 minutes. I always suggest a cool down walk at ~3.5 for two minutes. Also try and stretch as this high intensity workout can make you cramp.
Want to make this even more intense - start adding an incline. In order to mimic outside and normal running conditions your treadmill should actually always be set at an incline of 1.0, but why not try an incline of 4.0 while doing these?
See below for an example of the sprints I do every week. Increase or decrease your speed for what feels right for you. But remember by the end of the high intensity period you should be gassed and NEEDING a break. Push yourself, its only 30 seconds of full sprints...you can do it!
|0:00 – 5:00||Warmup – 4.0|
|5:00 – 5:45||10.0|
|5:45 – 7:00||4.0|
|7:00 – 7:45||9.5|
|7:45 – 9:00||4.0|
|9:00 – 9:45||10.0|
|9:45 – 11:00||4.0|
|11:00 – 11:45||9.5|
|11:45 – 13:00||4.0|
|13:00 – 13:45||10.0|
|13:45 – 15:00||4.0|
|15:00 – 15:45||9.5|
|15:45 – 17:00||4.0|
|17:00 – 17:45||10.0|
|17:45 – 19:00||4.0|
|19:00 – 19:45||9.5|
|19:45 – 20.00||Set cool down speed|
Fast, Express Shipping.
'Due to COVID-19, online stores are experiencing some shipping delays. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we assure you that we are working hard with our shipping partner UPS to get you your order out to you as quickly as possible. Thanks for your support and understanding.'
We want you to start your fitness journey with us as quickly as possible, that’s why we send every package to the USA & Canada via expedited or standard shipping with our partners at UPS. Once your order is received and processed, it just takes 2-4 days to get to you once it leaves our warehouse. That’s our commitment and we stand by it.
We ship within Canada and the United States via UPS with Standard & Expedited shipping (whichever is faster)
For locations outside of the US and Canada, we ship using FedEx International (EUROPE and Other Nations), which is usually in transit for 7-10 business days, depending on location.
We ship all of our physical products with UPS, from our warehouse location in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Signatures are required on all orders. Delays caused due to custom withholds are not included in these estimated delivery times.
We offer a 30-day return policy, as long as: it is not more than 30 days past the date of delivery; and your item is in its original condition and packaging with the original order number. Refunds will be issued when the equipment is received back to the BodyRock warehouse, minus the original cost of shipping, and the customer is responsible for the costs of return shipping. To request a refund on physical product purchases, please contact us.
We cannot issue refunds on digital goods such as e-books or videos, as these are non-tangible goods that are irrevocable once the order is placed.
All of the BodyRock clothing is made to order and so is final sale. If you have any questions about sizing prior to placing your order, please contact us.