Tips for healthier eating:
1. Brown Bag It
Whether you are doing the traditional tourist thing and going on tours and checking out the sights, or spending the day on a hike or at the beach, this tip can not only save you calories, it can save you money! Packing a small lunch or filling a cooler is a great way to avoid chowing down on food cart hot dogs, allowing you to create nutritionally balanced meals that will keep you energized and satisfied. Besides, who doesn't like a picnic?
2. Eat In When PossibleIf you aren't renting a house or cottage, try to book at an extended stay hotel (or at least a room with access to a kitchenette), so you can prep as many meals as possible at "home." Again, this allows you to control every aspect of what you are eating.
3. Do Some Research
Planning ahead is a real diet saver! Before you head out on vacation, do a little research on the areas in which you will be. Look at the local restaurants, examine their menus. Plan which places you will go, and on what day, so you aren't left wandering the streets at dinner hour, starving and ready to devour whatever is put in front of you!
4. Bring SnacksHaving easy, portable, snacks will not only keep your metabolism going while you complete your daily activities, it will prevent you from overeating come meal time. This is especially helpful when you know you are going to be dining out.
5. Allow Yourself A Splurge MealJust about anywhere you go on the planet, you can find indulgent local delicacies. And truly, you should get an opportunity to enjoy these things. One of the greatest things about a vacation is immersing yourself in local culture. Just don't over do it. Pick one meal, or one day, when you are going to allow yourself to splurge. Consider this splurge to be the 20 percent element of the 80/20 rule. If you are healthy 80 percent of the time, you can make room for an indulgence.
6. Take It Easy On The BoozeWhen lounging poolside, it can be difficult not to over do it on the piña coladas but remember, those calories add up in a hurry. And unfortunately, those calories are completely devoid of nutrition. They are empty, diet destroying calories. We understand that you want to let your hair down on vacation, just be smart about it. Instead of having sugary mixed cocktails, opt for something lower in calories. Order a vodka with club soda, a white wine spritzer, a light beer, or a tequila on the rocks with a lime if you find yourself in need of libation.
7. Keep Yourself Hydrated
It is important to bring water with you when you head out for the day. Staying hydrated will help keep your metabolism humming but it can also prevent you from overeating. Dehydration often masks itself as hunger, leading you to eat when you don't really need to. Besides, if you are spending your time in a sunny, warm climate, water will help you avoid the vacation ruining side effects of heat exhaustion!
8. Visit The MarketFarmer's markets are the ideal place to get a real experience of local culture. It is also a great place to find fresh, flavorful, whole foods to take home and prep for dinner or enjoy right on the spot as a healthy snack.
9. Flying? Eat FirstIf you are catching a flight, eat before you get to the airport. Have a nice, big, healthy meal before you leave the house so you don't find yourself having to resort to fast, cheap food before you take off! Start your vacation right!
10. Drive By The Drive-ThruIf your trip requires a long drive, look at your route and plan where you will stop before you leave. This will allow you to figure out healthier options before you are on the road and at the mercy of a hangry travel companion.
Tips For Keeping Fit:
11. Walk The Airport TerminalsFor many, airports conjure images of sitting in terminals and waiting for the boarding call. Flip that script. Put on your favorite tunes and just walk. Take advantage of your down time. Besides, moving in this way will prevent you from eating out of pure boredom.
12. Take Advantage Of The Drive
Sitting for long periods of time in the car doesn't mean you can't exercise a little! Many of the exercises you do while sitting at your desk can be adapted for the car! Try doing a side twist or calf raises. Try basic contractions, like breathing in through your nose (but only letting your lungs expand half way) and exhaling forcefully through pursed lips, drawing your navel to your spine, contracting your abs and holding for a few seconds. These simple little moves can make a big difference!
[bctt tweet="25 Tips For Staying Fit And Healthy On Summer Vacation"]
13. Make It FunYou don't have to stay indoors busting out burpees all morning (although that probably wouldn't hurt), try something you wouldn't necessarily do at home. Rent a bicycle or go for a run on the beach. Take advantage of your destination.
14. Schedule Your WorkoutsWe know that people like to throw their schedules out the window the second their vacation begins, but you can still maintain this particular facet of your life while enjoying yourself. Try to set aside 45 minutes to an hour each day to get out there and move your body. Like we said above, you can make it fun! If you have it scheduled as part of your vacation, you'll be more likely to do it!
15. Book A Hotel With A Fitness Center
This is a no-brainer. If you have easy access to gym facilities, you'll be more likely to use those facilities. Don't make working out more difficult than it needs to be.
16. No gym? Take BodyRock With YouThe beauty of bodyweight exercises and HIIT style routines is that you can do them anywhere. All you need is a little bit of space and a little bit of time. We've got you covered! Using your phone, laptop, or tablet, you can access our incredible workout programs for free, anywhere in the world! Make a little space in your room and bust out a workout from Sweatflix℠!
17. Make Exercise Your Entire VacationIf you are feeling ambitious, you can plan an entire vacation around an exercise related event. Are you a runner? Register for a race in a different city or country. Go on a yoga retreat. Try a wilderness retreat with heavy emphasis on hiking. The easiest way to stay active is to take an active vacation!
18. Take Advantage Of Your Location
Vacationing at the beach? Take your regular yoga practice to the sand. The change in scenery will keep you motivated and the change in work surface will challenge your body in incredible ways! Even a long walk in the woods or through a beautiful park will inspire you to keep on going!
19. Don't Be Afraid To Miss The BusForget the bus tours. Plan your sight-seeing in walk-able chunks. If you have to spread all you want to see across several days, so be it. Cycle or walk to your desired destinations. You can really see the city while burning extra calories.
20. Try Something NewUse your vacation as an excuse to try something you've always wanted to do! Been curious about stand up paddle boards but afraid to make a fool of yourself? Get out there, no one knows you on vacation! Rock climbing, snorkeling, sailing. Whatever it is, give it a go!
21. Take The StairsForget the hotel elevator! Burn extra calories by taking the stairs instead.
22. Get The Family Involved
If your vacation is a family oriented trip, find ways to get moving together. Bring a frisbee, set up a volleyball net on the beach, go for a hike, plan swimming races in the lake. Rent a kayak. If you put your mind to it, you can find a whole bunch of ways to make moving your body an enjoyable, bonding experience.