February 07, 2015
4 Yoga Moves to Strengthen Abs After Baby
Did you know that yoga is great for your abs? While doing yoga is not the best way to get a six-pack, you can expect to significantly tone and strengthen your belly. Strengthening your core can also help relieve back pain and improve your posture (nothing makes your belly look bigger than slouching!). Here are 4 yoga moves to strengthen your abs after baby: 1. Boat Pose
- Start seated with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Lean back just far enough so your feet can float off the ground.
- Begin to straighten your legs together so that your body forms a V shape, keeping your arms extended and parallel to the ground.
- Balance on your tailbone and sit bones, chest lifted, and gaze
- Stand on your shins with your knees hips-width distance apart.
- Lean back, and place your hands on your heels, arching back and allowing the head to fall between the shoulder blades.
- Continue to press the hips forward to engage the abs, thighs, and tush, enjoying this pose for five breaths.
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended in front of you.
- Place your palms, with fingers spread wide, on the floor slightly behind and outside your hips.
- Press into your palms, and lift your hips and torso toward the ceiling.
- Look up to the ceiling, point your toes, and keep your arms and legs straight.
- Keep your entire body strong, and form a straight line from your head to your heels.
- Squeeze your core and try to pull your belly button back toward your spine.
- If your hips sag or drop, lower yourself back to the floor.
- The goal is to maintain a straight line and hold for 20 to 30 seconds.