Ready to start 2016 with an amazing new menu of healthy, delicious foods? Wet your appetite with these super simple creations full of rich, nutritious ingredients.
The best thing about owning a crockpot is setting it and forgetting it (that is, until dinner time!). Crockpots or slow cookers help make delectable home-style dishes that are oozing with flavour. But did you know that they also make meals that help you shed pounds and stay energized?
Slow-cooked meals are ideal for the winter and save you the prep time. Try one of these classic recipes for yourself and let us know how much you love them!
#1 Chicken Carnitas
Tender, flavourful chicken breast all wrapped up with nutritious veggies is sure to satisfy! This is the ideal meal to restore your body after a hard-hitting workout routine as it is rich in protein, vitamins and nutrients. You can add on your favourite toppings like peppers, greek yogurt or fresh salsa!
1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
3/4 cup orange juice (~2 oranges)
1/4 cup lime juice (~2 limes)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 small corn tortillas
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, torn
2 limes, cut into wedges
1. Place chicken in slow cooker with mixture of orange juice, lime juice, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
2. Shred chicken, mix in 1/4 cup of the juices, spread in single layer on a baking sheet and broil until it starts getting crispy.
3. Mix in 1/4 cup of the juices, mix everything up and broil for 5 minutes before mixing in another 1/4 cup of juices.
4. Assemble in tacos along with the onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedge.
#2 Healthy Butter Chicken
Forget conventional butter chicken and opt for a healthy, more crave-worthy recipe. It's embarrassingly easy to prepare and you will instantly become hooked. This comfort food-style recipe is filled with digestion-healthy fresh ginger and greek yogurt, along with immune-boosting turmeric and garlic. Binge away!
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 onion, finely minced
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
1-2 teaspoons curry paste
2 tablespoons garam masala
1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
cooked white rice, for serving
1. Mix together the coconut milk, greek yogurt and cream in large bowl.
2. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, ginger and all the spices. In the crockpot, sprinkle the onion over the bottom.
3. Add the chicken and then pour the coconut milk mixture over the chicken so the chicken is completely covered. Add the butter and place the lid on the crockpot.
4. Now, cook on high for 4 hours. Voila!
[bctt tweet="5 Mind-Blowing Weight Loss Recipes You Can Make In A Crockpot!"]
#3 Light Black Bean Soup
So delicious, you won't be able to resist! It makes a great side or stand-alone meal. Its nutritional profile is really exceptional, with each humble bowl heaping with protein, fibre and flavour. Who knew pound-shedding could be this tasty?
1 pound dried black beans, rinsed
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 quarts vegetable broth
1/3 cup Franks Cayenne Hot Sauce
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Salt and Pepper
Sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1. Place all the ingredients in crockpot and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper.
2. Turn on medium, cover, and cook for 10-12 hours.
3. Once beans are tender, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until two-thirds of the beans are pureed and the soup is thick.
#4 Mini Turkey Meatballs
They look like a guilty pleasure, but this recipe is totally lean. Full of healthy quinoa, omega-3 rich olive oil and protein-powered turkey, you'll be surprised how healthy this scrumptious dish really is.
1 pound 99% lean ground turkey breast
1 pound 94% lean ground turkey
2/3 cup cooked quinoa (preferably cooked in flavored stock)
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons finely grated romano cheese
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 large sweet onion, sliced into thin rounds
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1. Combine turkey, quinoa, garlic, beaten egg, olive oil, cheese, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
2. Mix thoroughly but quickly and roll into mini balls to be placed on baking sheets.
3. Layer sliced onion on the bottom of the crockpot and add 1 can of crushed tomatoes.
4. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, add meatballs and sear for one minute top and bottom.
5. Add meatballs one at a time to the crockpot and add the other can of crushed tomatoes, completely submerging the meatballs. Cook on low for 6 hours and enjoy!
#5 Chicken Ramen Noodles
Hot and steamy! This variety bowl of noodles, chicken and yummy veggies is out of this world. So fresh, protein-packed and healthy beyond belief! Whip up this recipe for lunch at the office or on the go. It will crush cravings and fill you up with veggie-goodness.
1 3/4 - 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
2 quarts dashi broth (or chicken broth)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 bunch scallions
2 tablespoons white miso
7 large eggs
8 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems trimmed
8 ounces dried ramen noodles
5 ounces fresh baby spinach
1. Place chicken, whole eggs, ginger, and garlic in a crockpot. Cut the tops off scallions and chop the green ends to use as a garnish later.
2. Tie the white ends with butcher's twine and place in the slow cooker. Pour the dash over the top and cover the slow cooker and turn on low.
3. After 2 hours, remove on egg with tongs. Place in ice water, crack and see if it's done. If it's close, continue cooking for 10 to 20 minutes then remove and chill in ice bath.
4. Take the chicken out of the broth at 2 and half hours if cooked. Stir in the miso paste then add the mushrooms and dried ramen noodles and place the chicken breasts on top to press the noodles down under the broth. Cover and slow cook another 10-15 minutes.
5. Peel the eggs and cut in half. Remove the chicken and slice. Ladle the ramen noodles and broth into bowls and top with the rest of the ingredients. Garnish or leave ungarnished and enjoy!
Let us know your thoughts on these recipes! Share your favourite crockpot recipes with us!
Have You Taken The BodyRock 7-Day Clean Eating Challenge?
We’ve put together a 7 Day Guide that helps you to buy the right foods and prepare the meals that are going to help you eat well and create healthy habits in your lifestyle.
Learn More about the Clean Eating Challenge