This day in age kids have just about every gizmo and gadget under the sun. An iPod, iPad, cell phones, laptops, computers, video games and now there is even DVD’s in the car. They are constantly stimulated and never get any down time. When, God forbid there appears to be nothing to do they announce “I’m bored!” And the proverbial hand to the forehead takes place as parents. Here are some reasons why boredom should be embraced and happen on purpose.
- Constant stimulation is not good for children’s mental development - they need down time to have inner reflection.
- Being constantly stimulated via social media or DVD’s and the like stun imagination - daydreaming involves the same processes that control imagination and creativity.
- Quiet time without even a book is very important for creativity and allows for us to be mindful of our surroundings - gazing at the clouds and listening to nature.
- Boredom can allow us to decompress and recharge in a healthy way.
- Time away from gizmos and gadgets will lessen the addiction to them.