The warm weather has arrived! Time to throw open the windows and fire up the grill. But summer doesn't just mean warm weather, it also means an abundance of fresh, tasty, colorful, healthy produce!
So, the next time you are invited to a backyard shindig or afternoon at the lake, don't bring a boring, plain, ol' green salad. At BodyRock, we've got your back and have rounded up some incredible ideas! Wow the crowd and take your potluck game to the next level with one of these exciting summer salads! (For more meal ideas, check out the BodyRock Meal Plan
If you are hosting a little summer party, this salad is sure to please your guests. Blueberries, pineapple, and creamy avocado. Perfection! This salad serves 4-6.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1-inch think rings
- 8 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- quarter of a red onion, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Brush the chicken on both sides with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Place pineapple slices and chicken breasts on the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes per side or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove pineapple and chicken and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Slice chicken into strips and cut pineapple into chunks
- In a large bowl, toss together spinach, blueberries, feta, red onion, pineapple and chicken until combined. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.
Make the dressing: Whisk all ingredients together until blended. Let sit for 10 minutes to let the flavors meld. Whisk again and drizzle on salad
This light and bright pasta salad is sure to be a fan favorite. The best part, it is under 200 calories per serving! Perfect for a big gathering, this salad serves 12.
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp liquid honey
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pressed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- In a large pot, cook pasta according to the directions on package until al dente, adding asparagus for the last 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain again. Set aside in large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper; slowly whisk oil until emulsified. Pour over pasta mixture.
- Add red peppers and chives; toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 6 hours.
[bctt tweet="5 Summer Salad Recipes You'll Be Excited To Bring To That BBQ"]
Bet you never thought of this combination! Sweet and juicy with a little bit of crunch, we're sure this salad will be gobbled up before long! This recipe serves 6-8.
- 6 ears fresh sweet corn, husked
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot, bring water to boiling. Add corn. Cook for 5 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut corn from the cobs. Discard cobs.
- In a large serving bowl, combine corn, blueberries, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. To make the dressing, whisk together lime juice, oil, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Is there anything that says summer quite like fresh watermelon? Beautiful and easy to prepare, this salad is more than worth a try! Serves 6-8.
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- balsamic vinegar -- optional dressing
- In a large bowl combine watermelon, red onion, feta, and mint. Stir until ingredients are well combined.
- Serve chilled.
One thing that summer brings in abundance is rhubarb. Instead of making calorie loaded tarts and pies, why not try it in a salad? This recipe serves 4.
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces of fresh rhubarb
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced shallot
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Toss rhubarb with sugar in a medium bowl until well coated; let stand, stirring once or twice, for about 10 minutes. Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until just it just begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, shallot, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add greens; toss to coat with the dressing. Top with the rhubarb, goat cheese (or feta), walnuts and raisins.
What are your favorite summer salads? Share your recipes with us!