Having trouble peeling yourself out of bed and getting going in the morning? Are your mornings a blur? Is your first clear memory of the day right about when you get to the bottom of your first cup of coffee? Here are some tips to help fire up your body and to make the most of your mornings!
- Leave your alarm clock far enough away from your bedside so that you must get out of bed to turn it off. This also prevents you from slipping back in and cozying up.
- Open the blinds and let the natural light in. This helps switch off melatonin production in the body and prepares the body for functioning in its waking state.
- Head into the kitchen and prepare a tall glass of lukewarm water with about half a lemon squeezed into it. A gentle daily detox-it is quite refreshing even though it is warm! You want to drink it and leave at least 20 minutes between drinking this and eating. This activates the digestive and pancreatic juices. It also facilitates the movement of the waste collected by the liver overnight to the colon for elimination and starts up the digestive engine to help you get the most out of the food you eat.
- Get the blood flowing! Whatever it is you like to do to stay fit, yoga, stairs or a jog, make time for it in the mornings. Exercise opens up the neuro-pathways in the brain, allowing you to react faster and more effectively to all of the challenges that come your way. Trust me, you will feel the difference even just 20 minutes can make and will witness improvements in all areas of your life.
- Eat a balanced, wholesome breakfast. If you want this newfound energy to last throughout the day you better give your body what it needs! Avoid eating a sugar bomb in the form of sugar cereal, pop tart or white bread. This will really help you avoid that slump in the middle of your day without the help of caffeine!