One of the biggest reasons for being stuck in a fitness rut or hitting a weightloss plateau is a slow metabolism. Your metabolism is the chemical processes that occur within your body in order to maintain life and daily fuctioning. Basically, it is how your body uses and receives the energy it needs to keep you living. There are a lot of things that determine your metabolis rate such as:
- Eat enough and fequently. To maintain a higher metabolism, it is beneficial to eat throughout the day. This is mainly why 6 smaller meals per day is highly recommended. Also, by eating regularly, your blood sugar levels remain stabilized with prevents you from diving into your pantry at 12am.
- Build muscle and exercise. Exercise is the best way to raise your metabolic rate. Although aerobics might be best at getting your heart rate increased, lifting weights may be your best bet in the long run since you tend to burn more calories for the rest of the day-long after your workout is over. What should you do? Do both! Warm up with cardio and lift weights or end with cardio after lifting weights.
- Spice it up. There are more to spices than just to season bland tasting food-they can raise your metabolism, too! The best spices for increasing metabolism are: cinnamon, cayenne, turmeric, and ginger. Have fun with your spices and don't be afraid to try new things.
- Be patient. Fixing a slow metabolism does not happen over night just as your slow metabolism didn't happen overnight either. Continue working on your health and doing the things that you need to do and your patience will pay off. Your body will start to recognize it all and change before you realize it!
- Get your caffeine fix. It is not secret that caffeine spikes metabolisms-this is due to the fact that its a stimulant. Similar to fat burners on the market, it speeds up your body's natural processes. I love getting my caffeine from my 2 cups of coffee per day!