Determining what is the “right” weight for you can seem daunting, so I’d like to share with you some steps to achieve your happy weight. What is a happy weight? It is the set point your body finds when you are naturally active and eat a healthy, balanced diet without any other efforts. For instance, you may think losing 10 pounds will make you healthy, but would it make your body happy? Would your energy levels suffer? Would your focus ability diminish? Would your appetite make you a mad crazy person? You get my drift. Simultaneously, if you’re underweight, will gaining 10 pounds make you a better person, give you more energy, lift your depression? The point is, we all need to be focused more on finding our happy weight instead of the perfect number we hang over our heads.
1. Throw Your Scale AwayWhen it comes to finding your happy weight, you seriously need to ditch the scale. Many people fear not knowing what they weigh, but for me, it can be one of the most freeing things to experience. If you don't know what the number is, you quit the comparison game. Exercise daily, eat healthy, unprocessed foods and you will have great energy. You don’t need a number to tell you that your body is happy. You will feel it and see it daily. If you’re addicted to your scale, throw it away! Or at least donate it if you don't want to be wasteful. It is time you focused more on the quality of the foods you ate and being active. That is what your body desires, not to be forced into a weight it isn’t happy at.
2. Quit RestrictingWe should all make sure we get substantial amounts of nutritious foods and leave the nasty processed junk foods behind. However, we shouldn’t restrict ourselves from higher calorie healthy foods if we are truly hungry. We also shouldn’t be afraid to eat more if we are hungry. Who said that the amount of dinner your best friend eats is how much you’re hungry for? Maybe it’s more, maybe it’s less. Stop eating when you’re 80% full. This will keep your blood sugar stable, and keep you from overeating and feeling stuffed. After the 80% rule, you don’t need to tell yourself not to eat. By not eating, you’re ruining your metabolism, and possibly causing weight gain due to it. Eat when you’re hungry; just choose healthy options.
3. Stop Size ObsessingJust because your favorite model is a size 2 doesn’t mean that you should be. Or, if you want a curvier figure, yet your body is naturally straight, why are you obsessing about changing it to conform to the way another woman might look, or what size she might wear? It won't make you a better person, enhance your life, or change who you are. You were given your body for a reason. Embrace it!Brands decide what size you wear, not your body. Who cares what size you wear? All brands of clothing and styles are made differently. Wear a size that fits you and honors your natural shape. You’ll only look better by doing so!
4. Stop Eating JunkYou can’t find your happy weight living off junk foods like Twinkies, boxes of cereal for dinner and shoving a bagel in your face for breakfast. Start eating healthy foods that are nutritionally balanced and cut out the refined sugars while you’re at it. These foods mess with your mood, your weight, alter your appetite and can be detrimental to your health. Your body wants clean, healthy foods so it can give you lots of energy, a happy mood, and of course, a happy weight.
5. Ditch The Diet PillsEven natural stimulant products that contain caffeine are harmful and create a diet mentality that can be detrimental to your mind and your body. What are you telling your body by taking those pills? You’re telling it that it isn’t good enough to run on its own and it needs help from somewhere else to look something like the idea of perfection you hold in your head. This puts you out of your body, leading to you controlling it, which isn't what we are meant to do. It's hard to see women living off diet pills, especially young girls. It gets then nowhere but an unhealthy metabolism, nervous energy and an unhealthy relationship with food and their bodies. Your body doesn’t need chemicals and stimulants. It needs you to take care of it!
6. Have More FunThat’s right! Your happy weight can only be found when you enjoy your life and have more fun. You need to be around people that lift you up, participate in healthy activities with you, and that nurture you, not that lead you to an unhealthy lifestyle, put you down, or cause you to be in a bad mood. Get out and be more active and have fun! Your happy weight will find you when you do.
7. Cut Out Alcohol And CigarettesI know...I'm sorry. It seems obvious, but many women will drink wine instead of eat dinner to put them to sleep, or smoke cigarettes to prevent eating. Other women drink on the weekends to “let loose” and then wonder why they can’t lose the extra weight or get rid of their sugar cravings. You need to get rid of booze and nicotine in your life. They are only preventing you from having energy, being healthy, looking great and feeling great. In a crowd that’s drinking? Drink water and lemon instead. Yes, that sounds boring, but at the end of the day, you'll look great, and no one else will care that you didn't drink. You’ll be glad you didn’t give in to the nasty effects of alcohol the next morning. Don’t smoke cigarettes period, but especially to avoid weight gain. You’re only wrecking your metabolism now and setting yourself up for a lifetime of fighting your weight, and battling cancer risks. Alcohol and cigarettes aren't food, therefore you don't need them.
Let us help you find your happy weight. Click here to check out our 14 Day Nutrition Guide and get the most of your workouts!