November 11, 2015
7 Things to do With an Egg If That's All You've Got Left
Eggs are a great source of protein and are a highly versatile food. You can create endless recipes with them, but here are some unique and healthy ideas you can incorporate using the last egg in the fridge.
#1 Knock-Off Leon Egg PotIngredients ½ can baked beans 1 egg Few slices chorizo 2 small tomatoes Directions
- Chop the tomatoes and chorizo. Put in a microwaveable mug and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beans, stir, re-cover and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Crack the egg into the mixture, cover and microwave for 1 minute.
#2 Egg Baked In MushroomsIngredients 4 large portobello mushrooms, stem removed, wiped clean Olive oil spray (make your own using a spray bottle) ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided ½ teaspoon garlic powder 4 large eggs 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese 4 tablespoons chopped parsley for garnish Directions
- Preheat broiler, setting temperature to high.
- Set oven rack in the middle of the oven and line baking sheet with foil.
- Spray mushroom caps with olive oil. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon pepper and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Broil 5 minutes on each side. Remove mushrooms from oven. Switch oven from broil to bake, setting temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Break an egg into mushroom, sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes, until egg whites are cooked.
#3 Broccoli, Ham and Mozzarella BakeIngredients 4-6 cups very small broccoli flowerets, blanched about 2 minutes, then drained well. 1-2 cups diced ham (1/2 - 1 lb.) 1 cup low-fat grated Mozzarella 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion (optional, but good) 8-10 eggs, well beaten Directions
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a boil and cook broccoli 2 minutes, pour into a colander placed in the sink.
- Dice ham and it with broccoli, mozzarella green onions in casserole dish.
- Pour beaten egg over top and use a fork to stir the mixture. Bake 35-45 minutes at 375F.
#4 Baked Spinach And EggsIngredients 6 cups firmly packed baby spinach 4 eggs 1 Tbsp crumbled Feta Cheese Baking spray Directions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray oil on small, oven-safe dishes.
- Place spinach in a deep skillet. Add 2-3 Tablespoons water.
- Using medium heat, cook the spinach until wilted. Drain the excess water. Distribute the spinach evenly among oven-safe dishes.
- Crack 1-2 eggs on top of spinach and sprinkle feta on top. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
#5 Fluffy Scrambled EggsIngredients 4 large eggs 1 tablespoon butter ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt 1 avocado, peeled and sliced 2 tablespoons crumbled feta Fines herbes Directions
- Crack the eggs into a cold 3-quart saucepan and add butter.
- Set the pan over medium-low heat and mix the eggs with a wooden spoon. One scrambled, add the salt and diced avocado to eggs.
- Top with feta, some chopped herbs and pepper.
#6 Spinach Mushroom FrittataIngredients 1 tbsp olive oil 1 cup of mushrooms, cleaned and sliced ½ small white onion, chopped 1 clove fresh garlic, minced 2 cups of spinach, washed and dried 3 cup feta cheese cubes 4 eggs 2 egg whites Directions
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the mushrooms in a microwave safe bowl with a teaspoon of water and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Drain water. Next, fry onions and garlic in a cast iron skillet until soft and add spinach.
- Whisk together the eggs and egg whites until combined. Mix in mushrooms and pour over skillet onion mixture. Crumble feta over the top. Cook for 15 minutes.
#7 Breakfast Sweet PotatoesIngredients 2 medium sweet potatoes 4 slices bacon 1 medium sweet onion, diced 4 garlic cloves, minced sea salt and black pepper 4 small eggs Directions
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook sweet potatoes for 45 minutes until soft. While they cool, fry bacon until crispy.
- Next, cook garlic and onion in leftover bacon grease for 7 minutes. Cut bacon in small pieces once cool. Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise then scoop out the middle of the sweet potato.
- Mash sweet potato into skillet and stir in salt, pepper and bacon bits.
- Place sweet potatoes on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Scoop mash into potato shells and create a large divot for egg.
- Break one egg into each divot and sprinkle with bacon bits.
- Cook for 15 minutes until the yoke sets and enjoy!