Your body requires a certain amount of carbohydrates to function optimally each day. Unfortunately, most of the nutrition is stripped from carbohydrates such as rice and other whole grains when they’re refined or processed into ‘white’ grains and flours. Eating refined carbohydrates can leave you feeling tired and lethargic as they quickly spike your blood sugar levels, and see your energy levels crash shortly after. Consuming whole grains and plenty of vegetable sources of carbohydrates ensure you’re getting way more nutrients into your meals, without the major energy slump! We’ve sourced 7 delicious, nutrient-rich ways for you to swap out refined carbs and bump up the goodness of your favourite dish!
- Try lettuce cups instead of white flour tortillas
- Try cauliflower pizza bases instead of white flour pizza bases
- Try zucchini spaghetti instead of regular spaghetti
- Try sweet potato fries instead of French fries
- Try portobello mushroom “buns” instead of burger buns
- Try quinoa instead of white rice
- Try almond meal bread instead of refined white wheat bread