If this sounds like you, you may have an imbalance in your gut bacteria! More and more people these days are discovering that they have a fungal overgrowth, namely Candida.
Essentially, a yeast infection that can take over the gut and eventually spread to the entire body. Sounds really disgusting but it is A LOT more common than you would ever guess. It is estimated that upwards of 70 % of people in today's world have some degree of overgrowth.
What causes such a thing?
Exposure to any of the following at any time in your life:
- the widespread use of antibiotics
- birth control
- stress (physical, mental, emotional, financial and environmental)
- hospital stays
- chlorine & fluoride in drinking water
- mercury fillings (more of a problem for the older generations)
Now you see why so many people suffer from Candida. It is opportunistic and will divide and conquer when you are weak and vulnerable. Don't get me wrong the little bug that causes such a mess is a natural part of the body's ecology and necessary to maintain a balance, but Candida Albicans is one pesky little guy.
Like many, I could have had this infection for years and not known. It is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed illnesses. Candida infections manifest in MANY different ways, all over the body and a doctor may look at the symptoms separately and never connect the dots.
Symptoms of Candida Overgrowth:
Keep in mind, depending on the severity, you could have all of these symptoms or none!
- Poor memory and concentration
- Brain fog
- Mood swings
- Panic attacks
- Low libido
- Chronic fatigue
- Cravings for sweets and alcohol (which is essential sugar) and Insomnia.
- Heart palpitations
- Chronic body pain which could be joint, limb or muscle.
- Frequent colds and flu
- Sensitivities to food, fragrances and chemicals.
- Inability to lose weight
- Thrush (white coating on tongue)
- Post nasal drip
- Acid reflux
- Stomach cramps
- Burping after eating
- Hemorrhoids and itching anus.
- Night sweats
- Fungal infections of the nails & skin
- Athlete’s foot and body odour.
- Recurring yeast infections
- Recurring urinary tract infections and PMS & menstrual irregularities.
Now you have a better understanding of how far reaching Candida can be. If you have been suffering with symptoms like these, it's time to go to a Naturopath or Functional Medicine Doctor and get tested.
Personally, I have been healing from a systemic (entire body) overgrowth for the last few years and I have written about my journey extensively! Please check out my articles HERE.
Do you follow us on Instagram?
[caption id="attachment_104277" align="alignnone" width="100"]