I have kind of been on a muffin kick lately. I'm blaming it on the avocados. I can't let them sit there and over-ripen...right?! That just wouldn't be fair! Nope. Totally not fair. So turning them into delicious chocolatey muffins seemed like the perfect solution! *Disclaimer: I should not be anywhere near chocolate this month...and I did sneak a few bites, BUT in my defense, Lily requested chocolate chip muffins, as she is not very fond of blueberry muffins. See...I had to do it! Plus, I found these adorable liners at Target that I just couldn't wait to use!For more of my recipes click here
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- For the Muffins :
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. flax seed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded, peeled
- 1/2 cup sugar in the raw
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Streusel Topping (if adding) :
- 2 Tbsp. slightly melted butter or coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar in the raw
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners. Spray lightly with non stick cooking spray (I use a coconut oil spray).
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, flax seed and salt.
- In a large bowl, add avocado and beat until smooth. Add sugar and egg and beat until well blended. Add vanilla and yogurt and beat until just combined.
- Slowly beat in the flour in two additions and beat until just combined.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with streusel topping.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- TO MAKE STREUSEL :
- Mix ingredients together with a fork until combined and mixture is crumbly.