October 29, 2014
The Best Dairy-Free Ways to Get More Calcium #7: Kale
Kale may not be the tastiest superfood around, but it's certainly one of the most "super". To start off, kale contains a surprising amount of calcium considering that it's a vegetable. You get 188 milligrams of calcium (19% of your Daily Value) in just two cups of chopped kale, making it one of the best vegetables to eat for bone health and fat-burning. [caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="614"] Source: steamykitchen.com[/caption] Here are some more benefits of kale:
- Is loaded with iron, which helps to stimulate circulation and boost oxygen uptake by producing more red blood cells.
- Is rich in Vitamin K, which helps to protect against cancer and improves overall health.
- Contains a lot of antioxidants like carotenoids and flavonoids, which will reduce oxidative stress and cleanse the body.
- Boosts cardiovascular health by reducing cholesterol levels.
- Fights inflammation in the body by providing you with anti-inflammation Omega-3 fatty acids, making it effective against arthritis, autoimmune disorders, and asthma.