July 25, 2013
Caprese Salad with Israeli Couscous (or Quinoa)
To me, summertime means many wonderful things, including:
1. Prepare the couscous or quinoa per the box’s directions. When it’s cooked, rinse, drain, & cool. While that cooks, prepare the rest of the salad.
2. In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cheese, basil, & cooled couscous (or quinoa).
3. In a small dish, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice (or vinegar), garlic, & salt. Pour over the salad & mix well.
This will keep for a few days refrigerated in an airtight container.
- lazy days by the pool or beach
- warm evenings & dinner al fresco
- less traffic on the way to & from work (if you aren't lucky enough to have the summer off)
- home grown tomatoes & basil, waiting to be turned into something delicious
|1 cup||Israeli couscous||
|1 ¼ cup||Water||1 cup||water|
|~ ¼ cup||Fresh basil, chopped|
|~ 2 cups||Tomatoes, seeds & membranes removed, then diced|
|~ 1 cup||Mozzarella cheese, diced into ½ inch cubes|
|2-3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2-3 Tbsp||Lemon juice OR white wine vinegar|
|1 clove||Garlic, minced|
- Serve as is for a refreshing side dish
- Serve over lettuce (my favorite)
- Make a large batch & have lunch taken care of for a few days