A 2011 study in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise showed that elbow planks were more than twice as effective at core and spine activation as traditional crunches. So, people started planking everywhere. Pretty soon people were able to plank for 1, 2, 3, 4 and even 5 minutes. Our abs have grown accustomed to the idea of planking and have ultimately hit a plateau. So, what do we do next to continue on progressing in the abdominal area? We take it to the next level. Experts recommend functional movements while planking to help engage the core, stabilize the spine and carve out those six pack abs. We bodyrockers already are aware of the ultimate sandbag, so let’s utilize it to help flatten out those tummy’s even more.
- Begin with the Ultimate Sandbag just outside your right hand. If you don’t have a sandbag, a heavy dumbbell will also do. Grab side of sandbag or dumbbell with your left hand.
- Keeping your body in a straight line, slowly grab the outer strap with your opposite hand and drag the sandbag across your body in a slow sweeping motion.
- Place your other hand on the floor and repeat with the alternate hand
- Repeat, alternating, for 30 seconds.
- Begin in elbow plank position with your body in a straight line facing a wall, or whatever you will be high fiving
- Pressing through your toes and keeping tension in your trunk and hips, raise your right hand to perform a high five.
- Lower your right elbow down and simultaneously lift your left to perform the same motion.
- Alternate high fives for 30 seconds.