October 04, 2013
CrockPot Garlic Chicken and Veggies
- 1 lemon
- 4 heads of garlic
- 1 whole chicken 4 to 5 pounds
- 3 medium carrots cut in 1" pieces or half bag of small carrots
- 3 stalks celery cut in 1" pieces
- 1 small white onion cut into chunks
- ** you can add more or less of any veggies you do or do not want as well as small red potatoes if you are not serving with rice or other carb.
- Fresh rosemary, or any fresh herbs
- All-purpose steak seasoning or a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, dried rosemary, dried, oregano, dried, thyme, salt and pepper
Cut garlic heads and lemons in half and lay in bottom of slow cooker along with some of the fresh herbs. Reserve at least one head of your garlic more if you would like. Peel remaining garlic and get ready to put through garlic press. Cut the bottoms off the lemons so they lay flat. Remove insides from chicken, rinse chicken and pat dry. Season chicken with steak seasoning or homemade combination of spices listed above. Also season with remaining fresh herbs and garlic cloves, I pressed about half and left whole the other half of the garlic cloves(putting them in the chicken, on top, and around).
Put all cut up veggies in slow cooker around chicken with any remaining seasoning ingredients, lemon slices, or garlic at this point. Put slow cooker on high for 4 hours. Make sure chicken reaches the inside temp of 165 degrees using a meat thermometer. Once chicken is fully cooked with an inside temp of 165 degrees, let rest for 15 minutes and then carve and serve. Chicken will basically fall off at this point! The liquid from the chicken can be strained as a natural gravy over chicken, rice, and veggies.
Recipe adapted from No.2 pencil blog