The following is my most favorite, and also most used desert recipe from the “Hungry Girl” cookbook. I pull this bad boy out for practically any occasion that we have people over for a grand feast, holiday, you name it. It abides by my 3 cooking rules:
1) Small handful of easy and normal ingredients
2) Easy to make
3) Quick to make
Keep in mind I am cooking challenged and have been known to do things such as boil potatoes with no water, so the above rules are key!
If I am going to be totally honest I also pull this recipe out for just me, myself and …. I can plow an entire dish of this in a few days (ummm day – don’t judge!). Here is the clincher, while I by NO MEANS suggest or promote scarfing down this entire recipe, if you were too (insert your excuse here … I had a bad day, I have cramps, I had a good day, big brother is on) the entire dish would only run you about 585 calories and 4.5g of fat. That, quite frankly, is less than going out to whatever fast food or deli place that you consider your sin and getting just one itty bitty slice or portion. Your average pumpkin pie slice can actually run you at 323 calories and 13g of fat….for a slice!!!
And to add to that incredible fact keep in mind that pumpkin is amazing for you! Often neglected other than when paired as an after turkey treat or for carving, this vegetable in the squash family should really be used all year. Some random facts about the health perks of this signature thanksgiving staple from an article on Huffington post:
- Keeps your eyes sharp
- Aids in weight loss (great source of fiber, low in calories, keeps you very full)
- Plays a role in cancer prevention via the antioxidant beta-carotene
- Helps keep your skin wrinkle-free
- Can boost your mood (so a bad day is a great excuse … I knew it!)
- Refuels your potassium and electrolytes post workout to help your muscles functioning their best
- Can boost your immune system via the essential nutrient Vitamin C
1 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
1 12-oz. can evaporated fat-free milk
1/2 cup liquid egg white
1/4 cup agave
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix thoroughly.
3) Place mixture in a baking dish (8" X 8" works well) sprayed lightly with nonstick spray, and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. (It will remain a little soft, like pie filling.)
4) Once ready to serve (it's delicious eaten hot or cold), cut into 9 pieces.
PER SERVING (1/9th of recipe): 65 calories, <0.5g fat, 81mg sodium, 12g carbs, 1g fiber, 7g sugars, 5g protein
NOM NOM NOM – Enjoy and you can thank me later !
Featured image credit: http://www.tongue-n-cheeky.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/cpp1.jpg
Hungry Girl: Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World by Lisa Lillien
We ship within Canada and the United States via FedEx with expedited 2-Day shipping.
For locations outside of the US and Canada, we ship using FedEx International, which is usually in transit for 5-7 business days, depending on location.
We ship all of our physical products with FedEx, from our warehouse location in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Signatures are required on all orders.
We offer a 30-day return policy, as long as: it is not more than 30 days past the date of delivery; and your item is in its original condition and packaging with the original order number. Refunds will be issued when the equipment is received back to the BodyRock warehouse, minus the original cost of shipping, and the customer is responsible for the costs of return shipping. To request a refund on physical product purchases, please contact us.
We cannot issue refunds on digital goods such as e-books or videos, as these are non-tangible goods that are irrevocable once the order is placed.
All of the BodyRock clothing is made to order and so is final sale. If you have any questions about sizing prior to placing your order, please contact us.