Everywhere you turn, there are watermelons for sale- especially during this time of year! Instead of slicing one up, try making this festive keg for your next garden party! It is surprisingly quite simple to do. All you need:
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 bottle of your favorite vodka
- 1 plastic spigot
- Cut off ½ inch from the bottom end of the watermelon so that it sits on a flat surface. Make sure that the surface that the watermelon will sit on isn’t cut too deep, just enough for it to sit evenly. Cut about 2 inches from the top end, cutting through the rind completely in order to get at the flesh.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the watermelon flesh from the top of the watermelon and transfer it to a bowl, making sure to leave about 3 inches of flesh at the bottom of the watermelon for the spigot to nestle into.
- Determine where to place the spigot on the surface of the watermelon, then press it firmly into the rind to make an indentation. Using a pointed paring knife, create a small opening, making sure to cut inside the line of the circular indentation.
- Press the spigot gently into the hole. Scrape away the flesh on the inside of the watermelon to reveal the end of the spigot.
- In a blender, combine 4 to 6 cups of watermelon flesh with 4 to 6 cups of alcohol. Fill the watermelon with the liquid and serve over ice.