Grilling is one of my favorite ways to cook, especially since all I do is prepare the food for my husband to throw on the grill! A few years ago on vacation I was trying to use up leftovers before we returned home. I threw some zucchini, garlic, onions, fresh herbs, oil, vinegar, salt & pepper into a foil pouch, grilled it about 10 minutes, & boom! My favorite method of cooking squash was established. Try it out! The quantities are super flexible, and you can use other vegetables. INGREDIENTS Yield – 2-3 Servings, Prep time -5 min; Cook time -10 min
*Yellow crook-neck/summer squash cooks faster then zucchini. Cut it into thicker pieces than the zucchini if cooking both together so the yellow squash doesn’t overcook.
1. Lay out 2 long pieces of foil, one on top of the other like a cross.
2. Place all of the ingredients on the foil, mix together. If you prefer, mix in a bowl , then place on the foil. I don't like to wash extra dishes...
3. Seal the foil, place on the grill for about 8-10 minutes. I usually check on it at 8 minutes. The cook time depends on how hot your grill is & how thick the veggies are cut
|5-6||Starburst squash, cut into large bite-sized segments||
|2||Cloves garlic, minced|
|1||Shallot diced (or ¼ onion)|
|~ 10||Fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips (or 1/2 tsp dried)|
|1-2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1-2 Tbsp||Lemon or vinegar (white or red)|
|To taste||Salt & pepper|
- Serve as is for a tasty side dish
- Try with other vegetables & herbs (red bell pepper is so good with this!)
- Make a large batch & add to salads, omelets, or egg scrambles.