These are gluten free, vegan, and delicious. Plus, they are so incredibly easy and straight-forward that I actually followed the recipe this time! (If you’ve ever seen me bake, you will realize that this is a rarity). Okay, the recipe actually calls for pecans, but since I seemed to have all the nuts in the world, I tried it out with almonds, peanuts, cashews, walnuts, and pecans. I have yet to try all of them, but I feel that I should for, ya know, literary exploration, journalistic integrity. Something like that. Without further ado, here is the recipe: Ingredients - 200g dark chocolate (milk chocolate for those non-vegans out there if you like) - 1 lb of Medjool Dates - 1 cup pecans (or whatever nuts you want) Instructions
- Pit the dates (or be lazy like me and buy them pre-pitted), cut them lengthwise and squish them flat.
- Put in 3 pecans per date, for the head and feet of a turtle
- Chop up your chocolate and melt it, in a pot over medium heat (or in the microwave if you are lazy – warning, chocolate cooks weirdly in the microwave, you may end up burning it)
- Drizzle about a tsp of chocolate per cluster to seal the inside, so the dates don’t dry out
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes and voila – faux turtles.