What is food combining? Pairing foods based on what mechanisms are need to properly digest the nutrients, optimizing digestive energy consumption and waste production. It is essentially how to eat to cause the least amount of stress on your body as possible. You can think of it like retrofitting your old house with new eco-friendly appliances, windows and plumbing which reduces your utilities bill each month.
Poor food combinations:
- Leave the body feeling heavy and sluggish
- Stressful for the body and makes it work harder than it needs to
- Poorly digested foods are a main contributor of toxins to the body
- Okay once and a while but not something you want to put your body through 3-5 times a day.
- Pasta with Meat Sauce and Cheese
- Yogurt Parfaits with Granola and Fruit
- Meat and Cheese Sandwiches
- Eggs and Toast
- Meat and Rice
- Fruit after a meal
Good Food Combinations
- Prevents grazing all day
- Makes you less likely to overeat
- Prevents feeling bloated and gassy after a meal
- Is easier on digestive track, the liver and body as a whole
- Leaves you with more energy to heal, detox and get on with your day.
- Will help your body to come back into balance and maintain a healthy body weight.
- When it comes to a meal, the less different food groups the better! Keep it simple!
Easy to Digest Food Combinations:
- Meat/ Fish/ Eggs and Veggies
- Spiced Oatmeal with dried fruit
- Beans and Rice/ Grains
- Quinoa and veggies
- Soups such as bone broth with a little well cooked meat and veggies or Blended Vegetables
- Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup with Millet Bread
- Veggie Stir-fry or salad with Hemp Seeds and Avocado
- Greens Salad with pomegranate seeds