November 28, 2014
Food To Be Fit: Autumn Lentils
This recipe is seriously fresh and really delicious. When I made it for the first time, my boyfriend told me that he'd never had anything quite like it before. Completely vegetarian and gluten-free, you will feel super clean eating this, and your body will thank you. Feel free to substitute quinoa for rice when serving, just my personal preference to use Quinoa. Also, play around with the chilli pepper if you like more/less heat. I used 2 cups of lentils, and that gives me leftovers for two days...if you don't want to make a huge portion, half the recipe. Oh...and the leftovers are really good cold (YUM)
- 2 cups lentils
- 6 cups water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2.5 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 3 handfuls shredded baby spinach
- juice of 1 lemon
- Rinse lentils. Place lentils and water in a large saucepan. Bring water to a full boil, then lower the heat to medium andcook, covered, until soft.
- Chop fresh tomatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. You will need to chop about 5-6 vine tomatoes to achieve 2.5 cups of chopped tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in olive oil, garlic, chopped tomatoes, sea salt, and chilli flakes.
- Cover the pot, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Add lemon juice.
- Remove from heat. Serve on a bed of quinoa with lemon on the side.