December 31, 2014
Food To Be Fit: Creamy Maple-Nut Quinoa
This might be one of the most delicious breakfasts out there! Quinoa is a versatile superfood, and I LOVE this take on it. Quinoa as a breakfast food - who woulda thought?! Warning: the milk needs to be watched very closely as it has a different boiling point than water. Unless you want your kitchen to look like a big foamy mess, watch the milk until the quinoa has been added, the temperature has been turned to low, and the milk calms down a bit.
- 2 cups original almond milk
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup fresh blueberries or 1 banana
- handful of chopped pecans
- Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan (be careful and watch it or it WILL overflow).
- Add quinoa and reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until ¾ of the milk has been absorbed (15 minutes).
- Stir in maple syrup, chia seeds, sea salt and cinnamon. Cook covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed.
- Stir in blueberries and nuts and cook until heated. Serve with additional almond milk, maple syrup, cinnamon or blueberries.