December 03, 2014
Food To Be Fit: Pumpkin Soup
- 1 large spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 lbs pumpkin, de-skinned and chopped into small cubes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 700 ml chicken/vegetable stock (sodium free)
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Non-Fat Yogurt (or light cream if you're feeling gutsy)
- In a large pot, heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Place chopped onion in the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place pumpkin in the pot and cook for 8-10 minutes, until softening and starting to turn golden brown.
- Pour 700 ml chicken or vegetable stock into the pot. Bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, 1 1/2 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
- Add non-fat plain yogurt, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and blend with an immersion blender until completely blended.
- Using a sieve, strain the soup to get rid of any larger pieces in order to get a smooth, silky soup.
- Serve with a dollop of plain yogurt, pumpkin seeds, and salt & pepper.