My boyfriend and I eat Hummus like its going out of style. We put it on everything! Chicken, eggs, vegetables, etc...You name it, we've probably tried it (within reason, of course). Anyways - being into fitness, health & cooking (and saving money to buy a house) ...it just didn't feel right spending $8.00+ every time I walked into the grocery store, just for our other true love, Hummus. I had to find someway to supply our addiction, keep costs down, and keep my body a mainly no-preservative/additive temple. Next time you walk into the grocery store, instead of buying that pre-packaged, stay fresh forever, small-yet-expensive tub of Hummus, buy a can of salt-free chickpeas. Better yet - buy some chickpeas in bulk and make your own.
- 1 can no-salt added chickpeas, rinsed and drained (save a few chickpeas for garnish on top)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend.
- Garnish with a little bit of olive oil, the leftover chickpeas, some red chilli flakes & freshly ground black pepper.