August 27, 2013
Guilt free strawberry cheesecake with a fat-free option!
For as long as I can remember I have loved cheesecake.My mom would occasionally take me to Denny's Diner and it was the only thing I looked forward to there. You see my mom was against all eating out but there were always those occasions that we would go out with her client's for a bite to eat. I remember putting in 12 hour days with her, as a kid that can get quite boring. Cheesecake made those days well worth it. I never realized how fattening Cheesecake is until I made it myself. I didn't actually think you used cheese, I mean really? How can something like cheese taste so sweet and creamy. Lots of SUGAR of course!Cheesecake has not made its way into my diet for a very long time due to this very reason! Thankfully the recipe light bulb came on and I whipped up this quick and easy recipe that is only 56 calories per cup!! I know I know! I even gave an option for the crust that does not use butter, drops the calorie count to 47 and the fat to ZERO, NONE, NADA! So here it is, everything you need to have your cake and eat it too! While still maintaining a healthy diet and inching our way to a rocking body one workout and meal at a time.
- 3 1/2- 4 Graham cracker sheets
- 2 tablespoons of melted reduced fat butter or non-dairy alternative ( I could not resist a buttery crust, skip this for the fat free option)
- 1 1/2- 2 cups Fage Fat free Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons Sugar free, fat free instant Cheesecake pudding mix (I personally prefer the sugar based one because it doesn't use an artificial sweetener)
- 1-2 cups Frozen or fresh strawberries
- sprinkle of sugar, xylitol or stevia
- 1/2 tsp corn starch (optional, acts as a thickener)
- Grab a cupcake tin and line with cupcake liners
- Grab a saucepan and add your strawberries, heat them on low. Add sweetener and cornstarch. Stir until the consistency reaches a jam like texture. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile: Chop, mix or blend Graham crackers until fine (if using butter) If you decide to omit butter;crush them into very small pieces like the image below.
- If you did use butter add it to your crackers and mix through. Take the mix and evenly distribute it among the cupcake liners then crush down until firmly in place. If you chose to omit butter layer the Graham crackers after the yogurt, then top with the strawberries.
- Mix your yogurt with the cheesecake mix and mix until smooth, you may need to add a small amount of milk, soy milk or almond milk if you don't work fast enough. The pudding sets quickly once it touches the yogurt.
- Fill your cups with the yogurt and top with strawberries. Store in the fridge or refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (with butter)Cal: 56 Protein: 4g Carbs: 7g Fats: 1g Nutrition Facts (without butter) Cal: 47 Protein: 4g Carbs: 7g Fats: 0 g