This recipe is for my friend Kristina. She asked for a homemade ranch dressing recipe. She's looking for a healthier option for the ranch dressing she loves so much, and can't stand low-fat ranch. Well, I'm with her on that low fat thing... low fat is not good at all! But neither is the full fat, fully processed version of ranch dressing found on store shelves. First, if you're buying ranch dressing in a bottle sitting at room temperature on a shelf, it's a dead food. It's able to sit on that shelf and not spoil because it's so highly processed and preserved that you're getting nothing but nasty white goo full of preservatives to top your fresh salad with. YUK! No thank you! Instead of buying a bottle of ranch dressing with an ingredients list longer than your arm, try this simple homemade version that uses real food ingredients that will nourish your body.
Ranch dressing recipe
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 cup homemade mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream (you could even use homemade kefir that's been strained overnight instead of the sour cream)
- Milk (enough for desired consistency)
- Salt (to taste)
- Fresh dill (to taste) finely chopped
- Combine the first five ingredients in a wide mouth mason jar.
- Once thoroughly mixed, add milk until you get the desired consistency.
- Add dill and salt to taste.
- Keep in refrigerator until it's gone... probably about a day or two for those who love ranch dressing :)