How to be HEALTHY and HOT for the Holidays

For most people, the holidays revolve around copious amounts of food.. and after eating you probably feel heavy, bloated, tired and have instant regret. Am I right? We have all experienced this, and we treat these situations as if we have no control over them. It’s like the force of delicious food and the holiday season is so powerful, we just can’t simply stop eating before we feel sick. This year I challenge you to experience the holiday season differently. Here are 10 tips to help you maintain your waistline, energy levels and enjoy the holiday season in a way you’ve never imagined possible:
  1. Start your morning off right!
    • Immediately upon waking drink 32oz of filtered water with one tsp of pink Himalayan sea salt, followed by 8oz of warm water with one tbsp Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and the juice of one lemon!
    • Meditate for at least ONE minute! Yes, of course 20 minutes is ideal, but just one minute of complete stillness and focusing on your breath each day will greatly improve your life.
    • MOVE your beautiful body! Whether it’s a tough workout, gentle yoga or a brisk walk… get your tush moving first thing!
    • Have a nourishing, large breakfast! Fuel yourself for the day and keep your blood sugar stable with lots of vegetables, some healthy fat and protein for breakfast. Some examples…
      •  Green smoothie with spinach, kale, avocado, pineapple, hemp seeds, chia seeds & coconut cream!
      • Omelette cooked in coconut oil with organic eggs, bell peppers, spinach, onion, mushrooms, etc.
      • Eggs (fried in coconut oil) with an avocado and fresh sprouts!
  2. Follow the 80/20 rule. Eat a healthy diet 80% of the time, and don’t stress over the other 20% (when you’re at holiday gatherings). It’s what you eat MOST of the time that counts. One indulgent meal isn’t going to make you gain weight, but the stress over it will.
  3. Bring a dish! Create a clean version of your holiday favorite and bring it with you to the party! By bringing a dish, you can be sure there will be a healthier option for you to choose from. If you are hosting the party, create a healthy menu. Use real ingredients and make everything from scratch!
  4. Stay hydrated with water, all day! Keep a one liter bottle with you and constantly refill it!
  5. Choose a smaller plate and fill it with bigger portions of healthy options (roasted veggies, turkey, salad) and smaller portions of the not-so-healthy options.
  6. Up your intake of quality supplements. With so many people around, you are guaranteed to breathe in a few germs during the holiday season. Make sure you’re taking a quality plant-based multi-vitamin, vitamin D3 and B-complex supplement. Adding in a few herbs to manage stress wouldn’t hurt either.
  7. Make digestive enzymes your new BFF. Your body is probably going to need a little extra help breaking down all that food that you wouldn’t normally eat on a day-to-day basis.
  8. Do not skip meals. Skipping meals, thinking you are “saving calories” will only lead you to a binge and more calories.
  9. Eat mindfully. Most of us eat under stress (eating at a fast past, feeling guilty about what you are eating, stuffing food down your throat) especially at holiday gatherings. When you eat under stress your digestion shuts down, cortisol and insulin are increased and your calorie burning capacity decreases… causing weight gain. Use eating as a time to relax. Let go of all worries and negative gossip. Enjoy the meal. Focus on it. Breathe it in. And most importantly, eat it slowly, putting your utensil down after each bite.
  10. Seek indulgence in other ways. The holiday season is not about stuffing yourself full or binge eating. It’s about good conversation, reminiscing, and enjoying your loved ones. When you stop obsessing about food or your relationship with food, you can relax and truly enjoy those special moments with family and friends. Think less about food this season and indulge in the people around you.
Practice these tips for a healthier and hotter you this holiday season, and share with your friends please!

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published