Homemade Spinach Pita Pizza
One of my favorite foods in the entire world is PIZZA! Who doesn’t LOVE pizza! I mean common, what’s there not to love about the cheesy, delicious amazing item sent from food heaven!
The best thing about pizza is that is can come in SO many forms, shapes, sizes, complicated, not so complicated, simple or packed with ingredients.
Here are some interesting facts about pizza:
1) The typical adult consumes 744 calories on pizza in one sitting
2) 34% of the average American’s adult’s body fat comes from pizza
3) Men are most likely to have pizza
4) Women come in second
5) Pizza provides approx. 27% of the total energy on the day consumed
6) An average slice of a medium-sized cheese slice ranges from 220-370 calories
7) We consume around 251,770,000 pounds of pepperoni each year
8) 93% of American’s have eaten pizza in the last month
9) October = National pizza month in the US! – next month, YAY!
10) Approx. 3 BILLION pies are sold in the US each year
11) Each American person eats about 46 pizza slices annually
12) Give or take, there are about 61,300 pizzerias in the US
13) The largest pizza ever made was 122ft, 8 ft in diameter. The pizza needed about 9,920 lbs of flour, 198 lbs of salt, 3,968 lbs of cheese and 1,984 pounds of tomato puree.
14) As expected, Saturday nights are the most popular nights to eat pizza of the week
15) Eating pizza once a week is said to reduce the risk of esophageal cancer
16) Mozzarella cheese makes up for about 80% of Italian cheese production in the USA
17) Pizza makes up for more than 10% of all food sales in the US
18) The world’s quickest pizza maker and make 14 full-size pizza pies in 2 min and 35 seconds
19) 62% of Americans prefer meat-based toppings while 38% prefer veggie-based toppings
20) Pizza delivery men claim that women are better tippers than men
Well ok, with that being said and now that I have you drooling for your favorite pizzeria, when trying to stick to a diet plan and trying to cut the calories, pizza isn’t always (well really never) the best choice… because pizza is one of my all time favorites I had to come up with a healthy alternative!
This is my go to recipe for a clean pizza you can make any day of the week – or preferably on Saturday nights as apparently American’s prefer J
Simple, quick, easy, clean!
- 1 whole wheat (whole grain) Pita Bread
- 1/4 cup low sodium Marinara Sauce
- Goat Cheese (or cheese of choice – goat cheese has a ton of protein and a good option for those who are sensitive to cow’s milk – like mua)
- Hand Full of Spinach – not limit, go crazy!
*now before people start going off saying that cheese is not part of a clean diet – cheese in moderation is ok. Tips on adding in cheese – use block cheese only, when it comes to cheese, you want to go for the leased processed version you can find. You can grate it and slice it yourself, meaning you can have control of your portion size – plus, it’s usually cheaper anyways!
- Add the pizza sauce to the pita bread and spread it around evenly.
- Smash on as much spinach as you can – it’s ok if it’s tumbling off to the side
- Top It off with your favorite cheese (again, in moderation! )
- Throw it in the microwave for 2 minuets and BAM instant pizza alternative!
Try it out, and let me know what you all think! Thinking about adding this one to my cookbook, would love some feedback :)
Leave a comment