Maybe you went a little too hard last night. You over did it on the cocktails and appetizers. Maybe you just need a nudge to get your healthy lifestyle started. Either way, this one-day detox plan may be just what you need!
- Upon waking: Start your day with some hot water and freshly squeezed lemon. Not only does this give you a hit of vitamin C, according to Dr. Frank Lipman, specialist of integrative medicine, it can also help stimulate your digestive tract! But don't forget to drink water during the day too. Hydration is key for a proper, healthy, detox.
- Before breakfast: While you are detoxing, intense workouts are not recommended but it is still important to keep the body warm and blood pumping. If you are feeling a little sluggish, start your day with a little gentle yoga.
- Break the fast: Your first meal of the day should be one that will keep you satisfied without making you feel heavy. Smoothies are always a great choice. Try this Rise And Shine Smoothie or if you prefer your breakfast in a bowl, check out these creative smoothie bowl recipes!
- Mid morning coffee break: Giving up caffeine during a detox is the recommended course but we all know that isn't always possible. Skip the coffee and have yourself a green tea. Green tea is not only loaded with antioxidants, it has been shown to boost your metabolism. If you need a snack, grab an apple or some Greek yogurt with blueberries. Both snacks are wonderful for digestion.
- Break often: Try to move as often as you can during the course of the day. Get up from your desk and take walks around the office -- every 20 minutes or so. Do you find your eyes getting tired, follow the 20-20-20 rule. Look up from your screen every 20 minutes and focus on a point 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Lunch hour: Again, eat a light meal that won't weigh you down. Try a healthy soup or salad with some lean protein. Take this time for yourself and away from your desk. Put your phone away and focus solely on your delicious meal. Once you are done eating, allow for a 20-30 minute walk.
- Snack time: If you need a little something before dinner, try a green juice. They are full of nutrients and will give you an almost instant pick me up! If you are unable to make one yourself, you should be able to find some pre-made varieties at the local grocer.
- Unwind: Don't just head right home, treat yourself. A massage, a visit to the sauna. Meditate. Any activity that will help you ease the tension in your body that has built up over the course of the day.
- Dinner: Make yourself a nice, healthy dinner full of veggies and lean protein. And don't eat in front of the television. Sit at the table and enjoy your meal. Eating mindlessly is a common cause for overeating so take this time to focus on your food and listen to how your body is feeling.
- Wind down: One of the greatest detox tricks is getting enough sleep! Getting the right amount of sleep can not only reduce stress, it can help with weight loss and your overall health. Decompress before bed and turn off your technology. Read a book, take a shower, do a short yoga sequence. Relax.