It's the holidays, which means people are spending big and they are spending a lot. But, they also want a good sale to do so, as that's the way we do things in 2015. Sometimes it seems like we're constantly being brainwashed without even knowing it! But ... perhaps this one store took it a bit too far.
If only we could have been in the meeting for the marketing team for this Osaka department store, we could really know what was going through their minds when they came up with the idea for their "Fuckin' Sale," which was seen by a reader of Jake Adelstein's Japan Subculture blog, but we weren't, so we're left scratching our heads and giggling like little kids who overhear their parents swearing.
[bctt tweet="Japanese Department Store May Want to Clean Up Their Sign"]
The marketing team couldn't have actually known what they were doing here, right? Maybe this is how it went down:
- They thought they needed a cool English word.
- Then someone suggested, "How about 'Fuckin' Sale'"?
- And another asked, "What's that mean?"
- And they responded with, "It means like, really good!"
- And the ingenious sign came to be.