Growing up, my family had dinner together every weekday. To this day, those dinners are some of the best memories of my childhood. Most families don't get to spend a lot of time together, and family dinners don't happen nearly as often as they should.
Well...start planning one!
Here is a healthy Fajita recipe, yummy enough for the whole family (and even the pickiest eaters). This meal is great to make on family night because everyone can cook and enjoy, together.
For all 50 of our Foot To Be Fit recipes, grocery lists and step by step instructions on how to create quick, easy and delicious meals that will support your training and fat loss goals check out our cook book here - on sale for less than $10.
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 large spanish onion thinly sliced
- 1 red & 1 orange pepper thinly sliced
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 4-6 chicken breasts cut into strips (skinless)
- 2 soft avocados (pureed - for guacamole, or cubed )
- 1/2 cup pureed 1% cottage cheese (to replace sour cream)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded skim milk cheese (optional - I find the cottage cheese does the trick, no extra cheese needed)
- hot sauce
- **fajita seasoning: you can use a package of low sodium seasoning from Old El Paso, salt-free seasoning from Mrs. Dash, or make your own with no chemicals, no sugar, no preservatives, and less sodium using:
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp well-ground sea salt, or pink himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- **wraps: you can use any large tortilla wrap, or you can use fresh boston/iceberg lettuce to bring up the health factor, and lower the carb factor.
Note: The cold leftovers make an amazing next-day fajita salad! Place all the items on a bed of spinach and use the pureed cottage cheese and/or hot sauce as a dressing.
- Cook quinoa according to directions and set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté onions until soft and semi-clear then add peppers. Add 1/2 of the seasoning when almost done. Stir well.
- BBQ or pan-fry chicken strips until there is no pink in the middle. Drain the liquid. Add the other 1/2 of the seasoning to coat the chicken. Stir well.
- Prepare avocado, cottage cheese, tomatoes, spinach, and cheese (optional). Place everything in small, separate bowls.
- Spread a bit of pureed cottage cheese on a wrap. Add quinoa, chicken, peppers & onions, hot sauce, and your other favourite toppings.
- Fold & enjoy!
We love feedback, so please try out the recipe and let us know what you think!
Image source: http://lisaedoff.blogspot.ca/2010_08_01_archive.html