Growing up, my family had dinner together every weekday. To this day, those dinners are some of the best memories of my childhood. Most families don't get to spend a lot of time together, and family dinners don't happen nearly as often as they should. Well...start planning one! Here is a healthy Fajita recipe, yummy enough for the whole family (and even the pickiest eaters). This meal is great to make on family night because everyone can cook and enjoy, together.
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 1 large spanish onion thinly sliced
- 1 red & 1 orange pepper thinly sliced
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 4-6 chicken breasts cut into strips (skinless)
- 2 soft avocados (pureed - for guacamole, or cubed )
- 1/2 cup pureed 1% cottage cheese (to replace sour cream)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded skim milk cheese (optional - I find the cottage cheese does the trick, no extra cheese needed)
- hot sauce
- **fajita seasoning: you can use a package of low sodium seasoning from Old El Paso, salt-free seasoning from Mrs. Dash, or make your own with no chemicals, no sugar, no preservatives, and less sodium using: - 4 tsp chili powder - 2 tsp onion powder - 2 tsp paprika - 1/2 tsp cumin - 1 tsp garlic powder - 1/2 tsp well-ground sea salt, or pink himalayan sea salt - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- **wraps: you can use any large tortilla wrap, or you can use fresh boston/iceberg lettuce to bring up the health factor, and lower the carb factor.
- Cook quinoa according to directions and set aside in a bowl.
- Sauté onions until soft and semi-clear then add peppers. Add 1/2 of the seasoning when almost done. Stir well.
- BBQ or pan-fry chicken strips until there is no pink in the middle. Drain the liquid. Add the other 1/2 of the seasoning to coat the chicken. Stir well.
- Prepare avocado, cottage cheese, tomatoes, spinach, and cheese (optional). Place everything in small, separate bowls.
- Spread a bit of pureed cottage cheese on a wrap. Add quinoa, chicken, peppers & onions, hot sauce, and your other favourite toppings.
- Fold & enjoy!