Here is a list of foods that provide the most amount of nutrients for the least amount of calories.
It is probably no surprise that vegetables made the top of the list. They provide the most amount of vitamins and minerals, but have the lowest calories. Let’s see what veggies made the list – as well as fruits and proteins.
– one stalk has a measly 10 calories!
– the darker the better: Spinach has 7 calories per cup, along with iron, vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese and folate. Kale contains 33 calories per cup, and arugula, another type of lettuce, provides you with only 4 calories per cup.
– is one of the richest sources of folate is asparagus and one cup contains only 27 calories.
- One cup of broccoli contains 31 calories and provides you with essential nutrients such as iron, vitamin C, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K. Cauliflower also only has 27 calories per cup.
- White mushrooms contain 21 calories per cup. Portabella mushrooms have 19 calories per diced cup. They are also one of the very few foods that provide a natural source of vitamin D. They are also a significant source of selenium, riboflavin, potassium and niacin.
- Most fruits contain more calories when compared to vegetables, due to their high natural sugar content, but a half of a grapefruit only has 37 calories. They are an great source of vitamin C.
– One of the lowest calorie fruits with little over 30 calories. Apricots contain ‘beta-cryptoxanthinm’ which can help reduce risk of colon cancer.
- contain about 40 calories per small fruit and provide you with a significant amount of vitamin C.
- One cup contains little over 50 calories and is full of anti-oxidants
- 1 cup of watermelon contains about 45 calories and it contains over 90% of water by weight.
- A 3 oz. serving of tuna has 22g of protein and 99 calories
- one cup of egg whites has only 117 calories, provides more than 26mg of protein.
– 3.5 ounces has 23 grams of protein and 109 calories.
- A cup of non-fat cottage cheese has 15g of protein and only 104 calories
Fats are not on the list as they are high calorie, but of course it is essential to add healthy fats to your diet. Some of the best fats come from salmon, olives and olive oil, avocados, various nuts and seeds.
Do you follow us on Instagram?
[caption id="attachment_103752" align="alignnone" width="100"]