I tried this recipe out last weekend and was pleasantly surprised to find that it 1) Tasted like meatloaf and 2) Tasted even better as a meatloaf sandwich. Sometimes it is hard to find a recipe that can replicate the taste of a full on meatloaf, but this is as close as they come! Keep the ingredients on the low sodium, low sugar side and you have a healthy treat for meatless Monday!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or oil of your choice)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained well
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained well
- 1 (4 ounce) rotel tomatoes mild or spicy with green chiles
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sea or kosher salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free panko bread crumbs or bread crumbs of your choice
- 1/2 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1/3 barbecue sauce, no sugar added
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large skillet, saute onions until tender. While onions are sauteing combine all spices into a small bowl. Add beans, rotel tomatoes, corn and cook until beans are tender working in the spices as you cook.
Combine in a large mixing bowl bean mixture, bread crumbs and cheese. Lightly spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, add bean mixture, shape into a loaf or put into a loaf pan. Cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven, spread bbq sauce over the top and return to oven for 5 more minutes.