For the food lovers out there (myself included), fasting can sound like a dietary nightmare. However it is not what people think. Fasting is not a hunger strike for weeks on end and doesn't leave you deprived and malnourished. Fasting for one day or even half a day can dramatically effect your health in a positive way. Fasting every other day, or fasting for a half day period has been shown to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It can improve insulin sensitivity, boost your metabolism and clear up skin problems. Want to get started? Here are a few guidelines you can start safely.
- Check with your doctor first. Your doctor can evaluate your overall health and ensure this is a good choice for you. For example, fasting is not a dietary technique acceptable for pregnant women or those with diabetes.
- Experiment. Try not eating for 12 hours or limit yourself to a small window of the day where eating can take place.
- Start slow. Try fasting every other day, or limiting your intake of calories to under 500 calories every other day.
- Make good choices. When fasting, eat nutrient-rich, energy boosting foods on limited days. Make sure every food is chosen because of what it can do positively for your body.
- Stay hydrated. 8 to 12 glasses of water daily is what's recommended when fasting, or at any time. This can aid with the detoxification process along with keeping you properly hydrated.