Quiona bars may just change the way you snack before your workout.
Whip up a batch of these delicious and healthy bars for a tasty treat or a pre-workout snack. These are a great alternative to highly processed store bought granola bars.
Quinoa (pronounced 'KeeN-wah') is a whole grain long lauded for its nutritional value. It is actually the only grain that contains all essential amino acids, which makes it a complete protein. Nice!
You can use Quinoa in a myriad of recipes ranging from savoury to sweet. Today we're aiming for the latter with these gluten-free, nut free Quinoa Bars. These bars freeze beautifully, so make a whole bunch and save some for later.\
2 cups quinoa flakes
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla or almond extract
1/2 cup maple sugar (this is maple sugar that’s been heated and then granulated.)
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut or chopped dates or chopped apricot
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients, except cinnamon, in the order listed and mix well.
3. Place mixture in a 8 or 9 inch greased baking pan and press flat using the back of a fork or slightly moistened fingertips.
4. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon.
5. Bake 45 minutes.
6. Remove pan from oven and cut into bars.
7. Return pan to oven for 10 minutes until bars become crisp.
8. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.