January 17, 2015
Skinny Chicken Chimichangas
I don't know about you but some days I am just severely craving Mexican food; but, I hate the calories that come along with it. This recipe is my own variation of a skinny chicken chimichanga recipe I found (see link below). I however, do not use cream of anything in my recipes. This recipe allows me to make my own sauce instead of a pre-made one and skips on sodium, preservatives and added fillers. Enjoy!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (broth reserved)
- 8 oz Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup skim organic milk
- 1 cup broth from cooked chicken
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 10 oz can Ro*Tel® Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 8 Small whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup fat free Mexican shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine 1/2 cup chicken broth from the boiled chicken, 2 tbs butter, 2 tbs wheat flour and 1/2 cup 1% organic milk
- Combine the chicken, Ro*Tel®, onions and green chilies in a pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Heat until onions are transparent.
- Fill each tortilla with about 2 Tbsp of the chicken mixture.
- Roll the tortilla up and place seam side down
- Lay filled chimichangas in pan and pour sauce over top
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling