June 13, 2013
Squats: The Perfect Squat
Squats are one of the most popular leg workouts - and there’s a reason it’s stood the test of time. Squats aren't only a fantastic and comprehensive lower body workout, but they also target your core. There are dozens of different kinds of squats, and while they all work your legs, butt, and core, slight adjustments in form will isolate different muscles in these groups. Unfortunately, squats are also one of the exercises we often see performed incorrectly. The only way you’re going to get the full benefits of this killer lower body workout and core exercise is if you perfect your form. No matter what kind of squat you’re doing, we've got a few hints to help you make the most of every rep.
- Sit down and back. Don’t tilt your pelvis forward. You want to pretend you’re sitting down in a chair.
- Keep your weight on your heels. Not only will this help you slide your butt into the correct position, but it will also help you engage your glutes during the push up to standing and help you get the best butt workout.
- Make sure your knees never go over your toes. Remembering our first tip will help you with this point.
- Engage your core. This doesn’t only mean your abs, but also your back. Roll your shoulders back and stand tall. You want your spine to stay straight.
- Exhale with exertion. So in this case, when you push up to standing.
- Keep a soft bend in your knees when you push up. This will keep the work in your legs and not your knee joints.
Check out TheDailyHiit workouts to get some of the best lower body workouts for your at-home routine