Pre workout snacks are vital. Not only will you get a better workout, but you’ll also prevent your body from producing cortisol - a stress hormone that will cause your body to use precious muscle as fuel. You don’t have to scarf down a bowl of pasta and twenty chicken breasts pre workout to burn fat and build lean muscle mass. Generally speaking, the best pre workout snacks are 200 calorie snacks with a mix of carbs and protein. Don’t eat and run though. You want to give yourself about 30 minutes to digest before you workout to prevent vasoconstriction (i.e. That stitch in your stomach that you get when you eat too soon before exercise. )
Here are a few of our favourite pre-workout snacks that come in at around 200 delicious calories:
- A handful of baby carrots or carrot sticks and 2 teaspoons of hummus
- 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese and a handful of grapes
- Half a banana and 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
- 1 hardboiled egg and 1 small apple
- ½ Ezekiel english muffin with 1 tablespoon of natural almond butter
Grab your snack and hiit your routine!