Banana bread is a delicious, simple to make staple! It is a great way to sneak extra potassium and B vitamins into your breakfast, snack or dessert. But is there a way you can bump up this classic to make it even healthier? You betcha! Boil up some parsnip and add it to your batter. Parsnips are a root vegetable that are rich in fiber, vitamin C, and folate. The best part? adding parsnips does not add any extra fat to the recipe. If you'd like to boost the healthy factor even more, swap in some Greek yogurt and replace half of the white flour with whole wheat flour. So, not only has your banana bread become healthier, we think it might have become even tastier. Check out the recipe and try it today: Parsnip Banana Bread1 loaf
- 1/2 pound parsnips (about 2 large or 3 medium), peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (any fat percentage)
- 1/2 pound very ripe bananas (about 2 large or 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips and/or chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a standard loaf pan or spritz with nonstick baking spray.
- Bring 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water to a boil over medium heat and add the sliced parsnips. Boil until the parsnips are tender, about 8-10 minutes, then drain.
- Mash the parsnips with the sour cream in a large bowl to make a chunky paste, or puree in a food processor and then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the banana and mash with the parsnips. Stir in the sugar, butter and eggs.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together in a bowl. Gently stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients to make a thick batter. Stir in the chocolate chips and/or nuts, if using.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the top is domed and golden brown, and a tester or knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool before slicing and serving.