Being vegan is amazing! I have endless energy, I'm saving the world by not eating animals and I feel great. Sometimes I still crave delicious goodies such as brownies and other desserts. On a recent visit to Native Foods (a vegan restaurant) I saw they had a dessert called date zucchini cake...it gave me an idea. Why not create my own vegan zucchini bread and use dates as well instead of a ton of sugar. I looked up a recipe for zucchini bread and modified it to make it vegan, gluten free and sweetened with coconut sugar and dates instead of toxic white sugar. I used a combination of different flours because I wanted to see how the bread would be without gluten. I used oat, coconut and a little bit of gluten-free all purpose flour. Instead if eggs I used flax eggs. Haven't ever had a flax egg before? It's just 1 tbsp of ground flax seeds to 3 tbsp of water. It works great in baked goods as an egg substitute. The recipe called for 3 eggs so instead I used 3 flax eggs. The finished product was amazing, I was proud of myself. Here’s how to make my: Vegan Date Zucchini Bread Ingredients: 2 cups grated zucchini ½ cup gluten-free all purpose flour 1 cup coconut flour 1 ½ cups oat flour 1 tsp baking soda ½ tsp salt ½ tsp baking powder 2 tsp cinnamon 1 ½ cups coconut sugar 1 cup pitted dates (cut in half) 3 flax eggs (3 tbsp ground flax and 9 tbsp water) 1 cup canola & olive oil blend 1 tbsp vanilla extract ¼ cup almond milk Preparation Procedures:
- Make your flax eggs and place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or more.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grate 2 cups of zucchini (unpeeled)
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine flax eggs, coconut sugar, canola & olive oil blend and vanilla and blend well with mixer.
- Add dates and blend again with mixer.
- Add the dry ingredients, zucchini and blend. Mixture will be extremely think and stick to mixer, add almond milk, blend well. Batter will be very think.
- Grease 2 loaf pans with coconut oil or olive oil and using a scoop the batter into the pans evenly spread the batter into the sides of the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 55 minutes.